Heart size question

I've decided to use some hearts for the stays on my Black Prince model, and I have been making some by hand. Can anyone tell me though, how is the size of the heart usually decided? I assume there would be some rule about the size of the stay and the lanyards, but I haven't seen anything on this yet.
I'd appreciate any advice/references for determining this.

Can anyone tell me though, how is the size of the heart usually decided? I assume there would be some rule about the size of the stay and the lanyards, but I haven't seen anything on this yet.
I'd appreciate any advice/references for determining this.
Found an answer to my question last night. Zu Mondfield says that the diameter of hearts "corresponded to that of deadeyes"... being "half as great as the mast to which they belonged, and sometimes slightly larger." (Zu Mondfield, 1989, Historic Ship Models, p.244)

Last edited:
The pic is a bit fuzzy but the main stay heart looks the part for handling the larger size stay
As with the fore stays I just adjusted the size of the hearts to fit the look and purpose of the stay.
I found exact sizing is near impossible, at least for me anyway. But oversize/undersize is very noticeable. So, for me it’s the look, does it fit the eye test as belonging or being part of the function. Rack of eye seems to work for me.

Attachments

• DSC01262.JPG
    DSC01262.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01261.JPG
    DSC01261.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 27
Back