Heller 1/50th. Chebec

These are in 1/49th scale from a Mantua Xebec Sail Set. These seem more of a rustic made set vs, the set above.

ebay.jpg

Good day,
Big Jake ,
You already did a great job, and your model in this state looks very nice!
Why making own sails could be problem for you is not clear for me... there are links how our colleagues manage this question...
I think your own made sails will be much better than any other made by somebody ... Radek's sails are good but not as good as sails made by Dafi's idea ... I think in USA all necessary materials could be easily found...
All The Best ! Kirill

022.jpg

Last edited:
Good day,
Big Jake ,
You already did a great job, and your model in this state looks very nice!
Why making own sails could be problem for you is not clear for me... there are links how our colleagues manage this question...
I think your own made sails will be much better than any other made by somebody ... Radek's sails are good but not as good as sails made by Dafi's idea ... I think in USA all necessary materials could be easily found...
All The Best ! Kirill

View attachment 355384
Thank You. Food for thought.

Good day,
This is very interesting kit and such big size ! :))) I have smaller scale of this model , and plan to assemble it in the future , but now will follow your build with interest!
I collected some information of the subject which could be useful ,by my opinion, during model assembling... I left it here in cloud https://cloud.mail.ru/public/synf/FTAd83kvt
may be You will find something for You too.
All the best!
Kirill

Good day,
This is very interesting kit and such big size ! :))) I have smaller scale of this model , and plan to assemble it in the future , but now will follow your build with interest!
I collected some information of the subject which could be useful ,by my opinion, during model assembling... I left it here in cloud https://cloud.mail.ru/public/synf/FTAd83kvt
All the best!
Kirill
Thank You

Good day,
All the best!
Kirill
Wow! That'squite a collection of information!

Rigging the rope coils on a 1977 Heller Chebec in 1/50th. Cannons are about 1.5" long. Onto the starboard side Monday.View attachment 355845View attachment 355846
Was this a French ship? Didn’t Continental ships have a different style of rigging than the British? You’ve done an excellent job of British style gun rigging, by the way. I certainly wouldn’t redo it.

Hello,
Have you considered the option of replacing the blocks from the set with more correct ones?
on such a large scale, the irregularity of the blocks from the set and irregularly shaped wooden blocks is very noticeable

I'm willing to do a set of sails, just trying to get the scale and material right, the set I found on eBay just don't look right, too transparent? and they ship from the Czech Republic, so I'm not sure how long they would take.

View attachment 355226
A little pricey but they seem to be a nice addition to the kit and your work.

I've been working on this one for about 12 years between other models and client models as well as a job. I retired in Feb. and promised myself I'd finish her up this year. and drop her in a case. I bought the kit back in 1999 and although Katrina wiped us out, I was able to salvage about 90% of the unbuilt ship models from the ruined boxes (less rigging and decals of course). these pics are after we moved into the new house, and I decided what the new house really need was a 1/50th Chebec ;). I cataloged and washed the kit parts and started the assembly. The pics are me washing the dried Hurricane Katrina mud from the parts. (LOTS OF MUD). I'm going to try and update the post a few times a week until I upload all the pics. I'm at the point of wrapping the wooling around the three Lateen yards now.
Hallo @Big Jake
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day - in one year I have alse my 60th - I hope it is not hurting too much ? ;)

I decided to rig her without sails. I picked up a 1st. in ships at a local IPMS contest about a month back. I'm donating the model to Safe Harbor (domestic abuse clinic for Women) in September for their auction.

1.jpg

Back