Hello and Question About My First Build of a Dory

Don't feel bad about your frustration with the build. It's your first build and a learning experience. For what it's worth, I consider myself an experienced modeler and recently built the Dory for a diorama. I expected it to be a slam dunk build but did struggle with the instructions at times. Especially aligning the bow and stern. Nevertheless, it is a very good beginners kit to learn building and finishing skills and technique. The instructions offer helpful tips that can apply to other builds. Also, I find it is helpful to review reference material and other builds, just search the forum.

Good luck and post any questions you have; we've all been there.

View attachment 437431

View attachment 437432

View attachment 437439

View attachment 437440
Thanks for the reference materials!

One last issue, at least so far. I've reached the end of the instructions, more or less, and am in the painting phase. However, I have the pieces in the photo below left and can't find any photos or references to them in the instructions. Did you Dory builders have the these parts left over?
Boat Pieces.jpg

One last issue, at least so far. I've reached the end of the instructions, more or less, and am in the painting phase. However, I have the pieces in the photo below left and can't find any photos or references to them in the instructions. Did you Dory builders have the these parts left over?
These parts are alternative bottoms, should you choose to build from three pieces.

I remember someone posting some lobster buckets or traps they made out of scrap pieces left over from the Grand Banks Dory model. I've gone back through this thread several times but can't find the pictures this person posted. Which means, of course, they'll be very obviously somewhere in the thread. Could I trouble the model maker to post their photos again?

If you go to my Maine Peapod build I have it there. I can send you a PDF of that section of the manual describing the build if that would be helpful.

Rob

IMG_8633 2.jpegIMG_8511.jpegIMG_8525.jpeg

A PDF would be great, thanks. I'm thinking about using leftover scraps from the Dory. I've completed my build, although I'm going to tweak a few things. I made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot. I'm going to use that on the next boat in the series, the Norweigan Pram. Many thanks for the encouragement and advice along the way!
Dory.jpg

Back