Hello and Question About My First Build of a Dory

Hello from Tucker, Georgia. The ships on this forum are truly impressive and inspiring. I've undertaken my first build, the Lowell Grand Banks Dory. As meticulous as I've tried to be, I've managed to botch a few things up and am learning from my mistakes. Now that I have all the planks glued on, I've got to clean up some issues caused by putting too much pressure on the plank while it was drying. Should I wet the planks in the areas where they're warped out of shape and try to reshape them? If doing so, will that make the white glue I used dissolve? It's embarrassing to post the results in the picture to such an experienced group, but I've learned a lot and will likely order another Dory and try to do a better job applying what I've learned. Any advice, including yea, trash this one and start over, are appreciated. Dory.jpg

i have been buiding models for 50 some years and i goofed up the dory. What i suggest you do is go to hobby lobby or get a sheet of basswood and use the laser sheet as a template trace the shape on the sheet and cut it out. Trying to reshape a warped plank usually does not work.

Thank you for your reply. I like the idea of getting a piece of basswood and recreating the planks. That would be good for practice. Although I'm tempted to finish this one as-is to get my learning curve under me and just do a second one better. Someone mentioned in the forum that it's good to use sander sealer before painting due to the basswood grain. Are you familiar with this material?

I have used sanding sealer with basswood. It clogs up the larger pores in the wood so the paint won't soak in as deep, leaving a smoother paint finish. It is also good for ensuring that wood stain comes out more even and not blotchy, expecially on softwoods like pine. When wet, basswood is very pliable as you have experienced, but also coarse in grain such that if you bent it too much, it delaminates into a bunch of fibers. Basswood is easy to shape, carve, and sand, but does not stain well, and lacks grain contrast. The good thing is that it's cheap, and great for structural work in models, and you can layer hardwood veneers over it to provide the appearance you want. Damaged pieces like those on your dory are easily replaced. If you cannot remove the old planks and use them as patterns without destroying them, then use the tape-pull method: Cover the damaged part with masking tape, take a pencil, and trace the outline of the part on the tape. Pull the tape off the model carefully, and stick the tape to a new, flat piece of thin basswood. Use a saw or razor knife to cut the new wood to the shape of the outline. This preserves the curved shape of the old part and lets you transfer it accurately to a new piece of wood. Then cut the damaged part off your model and replace it with the new part.

Tape-pull method example, using tape to create new false deck panels whose edges match the curves of the bulwark precisely with no gaps:
1710788531993.png

Trace seam lines and edge along the bulwark with pencil
1710788550582.png

Transfer the tape to new wood
1710788565389.png

Darken the lines so you can see them.
1710788583754.png

Cut with bandsaw.
1710788595628.png

Test fit.
1710788614654.png

Glue down new parts.
1710788650467.png

Repeat the process until entire deck is covered.
1710788914596.png

Plank over the false deck.
1710788987232.png

Last edited:
I too started last week on the Dory. It came out better than expected except I used clips when gluing the planks to the bow and stern and gave it an inward curve. Now the top rail will not fit on. I tried wetting the boards but that just loosened all the glue. I am ordering another Dory today and starting over. I think I the second try will go better.

There are a few building guides here for the Grand Banks Dory. I would recommend looking at them. There are also several YouTube videos about building them. The real key is to very carefully read the instructions. Sometimes they are not very clear.

I would try to replace the plank. It may be possible to use the scrap portions of dory to reproduce the plank.

I found sanding sealer to be a real plus in painting the Dory.

Rob

I too started last week on the Dory. It came out better than expected except I used clips when gluing the planks to the bow and stern and gave it an inward curve. Now the top rail will not fit on. I tried wetting the boards but that just loosened all the glue. I am ordering another Dory today and starting over. I think I the second try will go better.
I got a comforting chuckle from this is I could have easily written it. Thank you for sharing your experience. I feel a little better.

There are a few building guides here for the Grand Banks Dory. I would recommend looking at them. There are also several YouTube videos about building them. The real key is to very carefully read the instructions. Sometimes they are not very clear.

I would try to replace the plank. It may be possible to use the scrap portions of dory to reproduce the plank.

I found sanding sealer to be a real plus in painting the Dory.

Rob
I appreciate the comment about the instructions not being clear. I would prefer a photo for each step in the instructions. I've been following a YouTube video build video and it's been very helpful although there's no narration. And you're right about paying close attention to the instructions. I've already learned "that looks close enough" or "I guess this is what that means" is not the way to approach this. I now have an appreciation for how carefully the parts go together.

Hello from Tucker, Georgia. The ships on this forum are truly impressive and inspiring. I've undertaken my first build, the Lowell Grand Banks Dory. As meticulous as I've tried to be, I've managed to botch a few things up and am learning from my mistakes. Now that I have all the planks glued on, I've got to clean up some issues caused by putting too much pressure on the plank while it was drying. Should I wet the planks in the areas where they're warped out of shape and try to reshape them? If doing so, will that make the white glue I used dissolve? It's embarrassing to post the results in the picture to such an experienced group, but I've learned a lot and will likely order another Dory and try to do a better job applying what I've learned. Any advice, including yea, trash this one and start over, are appreciated. View attachment 435819

IMG_2817.jpeg

On all my builds, not only have I had to use my phone to translate very vague instructions, learn nautical terms and names, learn new skills with a new medium:) and most of all repair all my mistakes. But those kind of things, seem to make me learn more and add some surprising excitement:)

There's a build video on YouTube for the Dory that has no narration that has been very helpful when I couldn't understand the instructions that came with the kit, which was fairly often. I wish there were more photos for each step. But reaching page 19 of the instructions and reading "I like to paint parts before final assembly whenever possible" is a little disheartening given I'm now at Step 19 and almost done. I did read the instructions all the way through before starting but I guess three weeks in I've forgotten that. But, the Dory has turned into my practice boat more than anything else, and I continue to learn a lot of techniques useful for the next boat. There is no room for "close enough" when building a boat.

I used grey primer spray first. Seals basswood pours good. Then two coats paint.

Hello from Tucker, Georgia. The ships on this forum are truly impressive and inspiring. I've undertaken my first build, the Lowell Grand Banks Dory. As meticulous as I've tried to be, I've managed to botch a few things up and am learning from my mistakes. Now that I have all the planks glued on, I've got to clean up some issues caused by putting too much pressure on the plank while it was drying. Should I wet the planks in the areas where they're warped out of shape and try to reshape them? If doing so, will that make the white glue I used dissolve? It's embarrassing to post the results in the picture to such an experienced group, but I've learned a lot and will likely order another Dory and try to do a better job applying what I've learned. Any advice, including yea, trash this one and start over, are appreciated. View attachment 435819

I should surely be ashamed of myself in that I feel relief that others are having the same problems, However, I have learned something, sander sealer. I shall give it a go. Good luck to all with the dory.

Don't feel bad about your frustration with the build. It's your first build and a learning experience. For what it's worth, I consider myself an experienced modeler and recently built the Dory for a diorama. I expected it to be a slam dunk build but did struggle with the instructions at times. Especially aligning the bow and stern. Nevertheless, it is a very good beginners kit to learn building and finishing skills and technique. The instructions offer helpful tips that can apply to other builds. Also, I find it is helpful to review reference material and other builds, just search the forum.

Good luck and post any questions you have; we've all been there.

1000001301.jpg

DSC02506.JPG

20231102_092014.jpg

20231102_091706.jpg

Back