Hello everyone!

May I introduce myself,

my name is Sven Schönyan, I´m 39 and living next to Munich, Germany. Since my youth I´m used to build ships. Actually I´m from the plastic modelling branch and most of my modelling time is concerned with this material. In the age of about 18 I developed an interest for historical ships and also started a few attempts in building the russian Brigg Mercury from wood but then turned back to plastic models.

My main interests are ships of the Napoleonic era and seafaring since 1900 with a main focus on Cold War topics and modern Aircraft Carriers.

During the last years the interest for the wooden walls came frequently back. So I started to search for tall ship plastic kits but never found a satisfying one which finally led to the start of a scratchbuild 1/350 Granado and USS Constitution to figure out if it is possible to build ships of this kind in that scale.
Today, inspired by some picture courtesies on Modellmarine.de and historical ship models in several forums and modelling groups, I again have the mood for building a historic ship model. Currently I still cannot decide whether to start with a kit from Shipyard, a wooden kit or do it from scratch.

But before I can start such a project I decided for the task to establish a proper workshop during 2019 to have a place for my centre lathe, milling machine, saws, etc.

Meanwhile I will enjoy this forum with its topics!

Sven

Welcome on board SOS Sven, where HELP others are just a beginning! I am relatively new to SOS, but already found a family-oriented atmosphere here and great willingness helping each other. I am looking forward to seeing your first build log!

Last edited:
Hallo Sven,
A warm welcome also from my side - I like your way very much to plan and organize yourself in order to start the correct project.
We will all help to give you as much as information necessary to make the (for you) correct decision.
Take a look around, the building logs of kits of Plank on bulkhead and plank on frame, and also the scratch build logs.
Do not forget to check the reviews of the books and plansets, which could help either in kit building, but also very much in scratch building.
Ein herzliches Grüß Gott von einem Franken nach Bayern.
Uwe

G'day Sven from the Land Downunder
Welcome to the SOS family. Our forum is open for all to see and we are always please to have another one to join our family.
If you need any help, just ask and onr of your fellow siblings will answer it for you.

Back