Hello from a lucky guy gifted several model ships.

Hello! I am new to shipsofscale and modeling. A week ago I came across several model ships while helping an elderly friend move, and she let have all of them. So here I am now looking for advice on model ship building. Three of the ships I found and would like to build are an Artesian Latina Swift 1805 1:50 scale, Mantura Model Golden Star 1:150 Art. 769, and the Mantura Model HMS Victory 1:98 Art. 776. The Mantura sets look untouched and in near perfect condition despite being 25+ years old, and the swift appears to have all the pieces but has been rummaged through a bit.

IMG_20240605_143815.jpg

IMG_20240605_143727.jpg

IMG_20240605_142029.jpg

I figured as much. The other two are much bigger and more detailed.

Being that I never built a model ship before I would definitely not risk ruining the bigger ones by attempting them unskilled. However, I have a background in woodworking, welding, and construction so I should be a relatively fast learner. I am also a little bit of a perfectionist and very meticulous, but I don't know it that would end up being more of a hindrance or help?

And thank you for the link. I have already looked at a lot of building guides to get ideas on the tools, space, and time I would need to for the special kits, but I hadn't hit the beginners guides yet.

Welcome aboard! If I may give my 2 cents worth, I would not start with any of these kits. I would start with the model expo's grand banks dory, and perhaps the Norwegian sailing pram.

You can buy them individually or as a set. I found them invaluable in starting to understand how to work with wooden boats. The learning curve and complexity is much better if you start off with a more simple project.

Rob

Welcome aboard! If I may give my 2 cents worth, I would not start with any of these kits. I would start with the model expo's grand banks dory, and perhaps the Norwegian sailing pram.

You can buy them individually or as a set. I found them invaluable in starting to understand how to work with wooden boats. The learning curve and complexity is much better if you start off with a more simple project.

Rob
Thanks for the advice. I was already looking into getting some smaller models after seeing how much detail even the swift had.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hello! I am new to shipsofscale and modeling. A week ago I came across several model ships while helping an elderly friend move, and she let have all of them. So here I am now looking for advice on model ship building. Three of the ships I found and would like to build are an Artesian Latina Swift 1805 1:50 scale, Mantura Model Golden Star 1:150 Art. 769, and the Mantura Model HMS Victory 1:98 Art. 776. The Mantura sets look untouched and in near perfect condition despite being 25+ years old, and the swift appears to have all the pieces but has been rummaged through a bit.

View attachment 452191

View attachment 452192

View attachment 452193
What a find! I just finished the Victory. It is a fun build and impressive to display. Good luck with your builds and enjoy the journey!

View attachment 452191

View attachment 452192

View attachment 452193
Maybe search this site for build logs for these vessels. Start with the simplest. Maybe, if you have access to You Tube, search fr builds for each vessel. Take your time.

With your background the only thing you will struggle with on the build is time. Finding it and using it. Be patient, take your time and plan for a long time until it’s complete. I say go for it. My first build ever is the vintage kit Scientific USS Constitution. It’s a blast and very rewarding.

Welcome to the forum. Some nice kit you have received. As mentioned above, I would start with the easier kits as there will be a learning path and you do not want to ruin a kit like the Victory. I would also start with the Swift. It will give you a good idea of what model ship building is about and especially assess the time required to build such a model.

Wishing you lots of fun with this great hobby.

My advise is to start with small simple builds, that builds your skills to take on the next level, which builds skills for the following level, etc.
Also search the internet for online videos of builds for suggestions on assembly techniques and tools...

With your background the only thing you will struggle with on the build is time. Finding it and using it. Be patient, take your time and plan for a long time until it’s complete. I say go for it. My first build ever is the vintage kit Scientific USS Constitution. It’s a blast and very rewarding.
I’m working on that one now. You can probably find one for less than $50 online.

Back