Hello from a lucky guy gifted several model ships.

Hello Horatio and welcome. I think your choice of starting with the Swift is a good one. It is an "easier" starter than the Victory or the Golden Star

Horatio, I agree with Rob. Get the Model Shipways 3 kit combo series. You can really get your feet wet while working on the three models and they are a lot of fun to build also. Welcome to the forums also. Magic Mike

Hello! I am new to shipsofscale and modeling. A week ago I came across several model ships while helping an elderly friend move, and she let have all of them. So here I am now looking for advice on model ship building. Three of the ships I found and would like to build are an Artesian Latina Swift 1805 1:50 scale, Mantura Model Golden Star 1:150 Art. 769, and the Mantura Model HMS Victory 1:98 Art. 776. The Mantura sets look untouched and in near perfect condition despite being 25+ years old, and the swift appears to have all the pieces but has been rummaged through a bit.

View attachment 452191

View attachment 452192

View attachment 452193
First of all welcome. Those are some pretty nice kits, but maybe a bit overwhelming for a beginner. Trust me I made the same mistake and it didn't end well.
As others recommended something simpler would be best to start with. Any way good luck !

Others have already said it but start simple. The model shipways dory or the the three set beginner series is the ideal place to start. I cannot tell you how many people have started with more complex models and given up in frustration never to continue the hobby. Remember, it’s a process not an event. Good luck and fair winds!

I figured as much. The other two are much bigger and more detailed.

Being that I never built a model ship before I would definitely not risk ruining the bigger ones by attempting them unskilled. However, I have a background in woodworking, welding, and construction so I should be a relatively fast learner. I am also a little bit of a perfectionist and very meticulous, but I don't know it that would end up being more of a hindrance or help?

And thank you for the link. I have already looked at a lot of building guides to get ideas on the tools, space, and time I would need to for the special kits, but I hadn't hit the beginners guides yet.
Hi Horatio,
Welcome aboard, We all were all first timers once before. Common sense, think it through. I would recommend a book called (Ship Modeling Simplified) by Frank Mastini. Don't know if it is still in print. I built my first ship the Pandora with it. Since then I have built Corel Wasa, Mantua Royal Caroline, Mamoli Royal Lewis. Mamoli Yacht Mary and now I am working on Sovereign Of The Seas by Mantua and I still use that book when I forget how I did something before. One thing Frank always says is "HANDS OFF THE GLUE BOTTLE" until you have thought it all through and done all the prep work. Words to build by.

Steve R

Thanks everyone for the input. Unfortunately time is what I don't have at the moment, so I haven't been able to start anything yet. I have done extensive research on modeling and gone over dozens of amazing build logs here in preparation. From all I've seen I can't wait to start!

Welcome aboard, glad to hear you picked up the nice set of kits for being helpful, a reward for good service.

I have built the Swift as my second model, not too hard for those with some basic skills, and I had a good mentor as well.

Back