Hello from a Scottish Island

Hello. I live at the end of a peninsula (ross) on a Scottish island so I'm mostly surrounded by sea.
I did the usual thing of building airfix and revell kits as a youth but it's only recently that I've got back to model making.
I would put myself down as an average model maker from kits - I don't need to bother about weathering, my finished models look like they have seen some action or are in need of a refit. Still, I'm happy with what I do.
I'm a magpie builder, mostly interested in working boats but something will suddenly take my fancy.
My main concerns are cost and space. I'm not rich and my boats stay in the shed (dust traps in the house plus we have cats ...) so I make a space and find a kit that will fit in it.
So far I've made a little Venetian vaporetto which I bought in Venice - Gilberto Penzo's shop is amazing - veniceboats.com
Ulises tug from Occre
Mowe 2 from Aeronaut
Ladysmith from Constructo
Loyal Watcher - a fibreglass hull and basic fittings kit of an aux. fleet tender (30" length)
Just finished the Dutch canon boat from Mantua
I'm making a paper boat - 'Alert' - from JSC but it might be the only paper one I do - very fiddly and unforgiving
I have a Constructo St Helena to do
and the hull of a scratch built 36" speedboat which I bought a few years ago on ebay which will eventually become a Venitian taxi
and I've promised myself an Xmas present to fit in the new space that I've found in my shed

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
A real nice and interesting flotilla you built already, so I am looking forward to see your actual built, maybe in a building log

Welcome! We are glad to have you aboard SOS! You have really nice number of models. I guess some of the radio control operated?

Welcome to the Forum and you have made some very nice models.I also dabble in modern RC vessels.Here is a couple of pics of a Graupner Seabex one I have had on the go for about 18 years.Even the hull has been remoulded on fibreglass.I will finish it one day as you could buy a half decent family car for the money I have spent on it in this time:rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0714.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_1277.JPG

I built a miniature of the schooner St Helena some years ago (See below). I spent many years sailing back and forth to the island of St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean, hence my interest. I first went there in 1972, and my last two ships were the passenger liners St Helena (I) and St Helena (II). The schooner below is scratchbuilt, so cost virtually nothing. I got the plan from a David MacGregor book.
Bob
St Helena (Large).jpg

If you look at my avatar (probably through a magnifying glass) you will see my inflatable dinghy, my 15' fibreglass boat called 'Sulaire' which is Gaelic for gannet and in the background the 'Birthe Marie' a converted dutch fishing boat owned by a friend of mine who operates a sailing business with her. Life could be worse.

Back