Hello from Austria

Sorry for writing so late, I am not the kind of big poster ;)

My name is Markus, I live a little outside of Vienna (our capital city) and work as head of the Servicedesk in our biggest printing house - maybe you heared about our Newspapers Krone & Kurier.
Due to the quite stressful job during the week I was looking for a good compensation ...
I always loved building things, but Modeltrains in H0 became too small for my eyes and the few RC-Trucks/Tanks are applying dust...I only enjoied building them, not opperating...
So I returned to kit-building ... and after a few plastik-kits I desided to try wooden ships again. I just the material, the looks and feeling of it.
I started wodden ship kits some 30 years ago and greatly enjoying the woodworking ... but passed them to my Dad for the rigging ... I had no idea what to do :p
Now, as I started again, I picked the cross section of the San Francisco (AL) to check if I still like the wood- and ropeworking. I also built a few cheaper models (mainly Master Korabel, great Kits, but 1:72 is also too small for me in the long run) to test my skills and knowledge - and realiced I barely had some :p But great part of the fun with any of my hobbies is learning and reading, so I got a bunch of books and started to learn ... and whilest "learning" I found more and more interesting aspects in historical sailing ships!
Well, I am still a "kit-builder" and that is what gives me great recreation with this hobby, I'm still looking for kits with good instructions - and you all know how many of that are out there ;)
Thats why I joined this forum and thats why I want to give a big "Thank you!!" to all of you - I learned so much thanks to the great advise and passion of all you members here! I just want to pick two examples, Uwes "Today in Naval History" and Daves "Bomb vessel cross section", where he shows how (imho) a good documentation is done...the ideas, the execution, problems/questions and how to solve/avoid them...
But I read all of your buildlogs and information you share, all of you deserve that big Thank You! I'm none of this social media kiddies that "like" everything, but all of you posting here need getting a "thumbs up"!

Well, today they advised the delivery of OcCres new "HMS Beagle", I might start a build log on her - if I get my home-computer repaired and learn how to make photos that are not blurry :p
But the "HMS Alert" by Trident also looks very apealing ... and I always wanted to build some kind of "admirality" model: more wood, less rigging :)

I understand quite everyting I read in english - the best books are english too - but it's not my native tongue... so please pardon my writing!

best reagards and keep the information flowing
markus

Hallo Markus,
Many Many thanks for your kind words for our forum - I / We are very happy, that you find this community informative and helpful -
-> It is our main intention !!! So that we all can have fun with our hobby

Due to the fact, that you are already a member since some weeks, I want to say

Welcome to the active group of members...... :cool:

Grüße Dich von einem Wiener zum anderen

Yeah, Griaß di a! :)

Well, let's see how "active" I can contribute to this forum ... but Dave - he again ;) - wrote somewhere about the benefits for everyone, if somebody ist posting his buildlog ... so I'll try ... but beside the technical issues atm I am a real slow builder, beside all the work there are just a few hours every week...

markus
ps: Wiener?!? ...so hat mich schon lange keiner mehr geschimpft :p

Back