Hello from Balmy Sodak !

I’m relatively new at building model ships,I’ve done a few cheap Chinese versions but have just started the Pinta made by Amati. Multiple different instruction sheets makes it very confusing for sure. Here’s my first question, they give 3 different wooden strips, one is labeled deck planking, fine simple enough. The stern area is also supposed to be planked but they only say use 15#,plank but the other remaining plank materials just say “hul“ planking. One is darker wood, the other is lighter. It seeems impossible to tell which one to use?

Welcome aboard!!

For the Hull the lighter plans are the first layer the Dark plans is the second layer,do not mix them

For Deck use planks for the Deck

For the stern #15?

Thank you so very much for your quick reply! I have the bulkheads all glued and the guide seems to suggest begin blanking the stern region before the main sides of the hull, does that make sense to you?

It is hard to tell like this,maybe you can post some images about what you have done so far,the bulheads needs to be sanded at the bow and towards the stern

The light colored wood is "hull planking" and is used to make the first layer of planks over the frames to create the shape of the hull, as Zoly said. The darker wood strips are for "finish planking" of the hull. After the hull is completed with the first layer (light), and is sanded to proper shape, the finish planks (dark) are used to plank over the stern frame first, then the sides of the hull after that. The reason for that order is shown below.

In the example of a French man of war, you can see that the ends of the side planks overlap the ends of the stern planks. So, plank the stern first. The ends of the wales are also flush with the surface of the stern.
271 Install Lower Four Stern Port Covers.jpg

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Welcome aboard! Folks here will be happy to help out. Start a build log so we can see how you are coming along.

I’m relatively new at building model ships,I’ve done a few cheap Chinese versions but have just started the Pinta made by Amati. Multiple different instruction sheets makes it very confusing for sure. Here’s my first question, they give 3 different wooden strips, one is labeled deck planking, fine simple enough. The stern area is also supposed to be planked but they only say use 15#,plank but the other remaining plank materials just say “hul“ planking. One is darker wood, the other is lighter. It seeems impossible to tell which one to use?
Hallo @Sodak
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back