Hello From Bonnie Scotland

Hello John pleased to meet you. Yes I have had drawings reduced by a Reprographic company in the past. My concern is the cost of the drawings plus the 52 mile round trip to Aberdeen plus the cost of the reductions and justifying it to my wife and daughter.
2foot is as big as I can handle, I have got a plank bending tool plus a small guilotine that will cut angles accurately. I too have a selection of small hand tools and my workbench is a 3 foot long pine table.

Hello Magic Mike
Nice to hear from you. Yes I am familiar with the Fifie Fishing boat its a beautiful design.
We are about 3 hours drive away from Fife.

Hello John pleased to meet you. Yes I have had drawings reduced by a Reprographic company in the past. My concern is the cost of the drawings plus the 52 mile round trip to Aberdeen plus the cost of the reductions and justifying it to my wife and daughter.
2foot is as big as I can handle, I have got a plank bending tool plus a small guilotine that will cut angles accurately. I too have a selection of small hand tools and my workbench is a 3 foot long pine table.
Ok. Good luck.

Hoy mates, a side note to planking. Bending wood. I have a method from little 4 foot model Schooners all the way up to a 40 foot 1796 Brig of war model. Yes, I said 40 feet. This is what I do to bend wood. Soak the wood in household Ammonia. That's it! Build a trough or use PVC piping with a cap at each end. Insert the planks and let it soak overnight. When you pull each plank out wipe it with a rag, then work the piece of wood into place. Clamp it, tie it or tape it in place and let dry. Occasionally move the clamps, ties and tape so the wood drys evenly. If your careful and patient you can put the saturated plank in a jig and bend curves in a flat piece of wood without the wood buckling. I have had very good results bending wood by soaking it in regular store bought Ammonia. When you remove the dry piece of wood it will slightly spring back a little but when you put it back on its original intended spot the wood goes right in place. You dont have to build steam boxes or iron bends into the wood anymore.

Back