Hello from Bremerton, WA USA

Hi everyone, I'm glad I found this forum. Reading through some of the threads it looks like there are great people here. I've been building models since I was a kid but not much in wood. I have started a couple but never finished them. I have the hull of the MS Pinkey schooner built, the hull of the MS whale boat built and a plank on frame HMS Halifax started from the Lumberyard kit. The last time I worked on it was 2018. I stopped because my wife had a serious stroke and I spent all my non work hours with her. She has unfortunately had to go to a nursing facility and I have retired. She is safe and well cared for and when I'm not visiting her my time is mine to do as a please. I'm getting my shop back in order and trying to figure out where I left off.

I have always lived near the ocean and spent 37 years working for the Navy as a civilian. I worked in the design division in the steam propulsion machinery branch. We worked on all the main engine and associated machinery, propellers and shafts and rudders. I had the privilege of helping to design the modernization of the fuel oil system for the Iowa class battleships. It was great work and very rewarding.

I plan to finish my whale boat as my first project. Looking it over, it looks pretty good and is very far along. My Pinkey schooner fell off the shelf last year and needs some repair work. I'll also need to order a new set of plans from Model Shipways. The Halifax will wait a bit until I'm more confident in my abilities.

I look forward to getting involved in some of the conversations and eventually doing a build log.

I'm glad I found this forum.

So am I. You’ll fit right in I think. I enjoyed reading your post and look forward to your first build log. Getting one of those going is a very good way to make friends here, even if you start in the middle of a build as I did a few weeks ago. There’s no need to wait - jump right in. :)

I’m sorry to hear about your wife’s illness. I can’t imagine how hard that is for you despite knowing a guy in the same position as you. His hobby is a boon to him as I hope this will be to you.

So am I. You’ll fit right in I think. I enjoyed reading your post and look forward to your first build log. Getting one of those going is a very good way to make friends here, even if you start in the middle of a build as I did a few weeks ago. There’s no need to wait - jump right in. :)

I’m sorry to hear about your wife’s illness. I can’t imagine how hard that is for you despite knowing a guy in the same position as you. His hobby is a boon to him as I hope this will be to you.
Thank you. Hobbies give us an opportunity to set things aside for a little while. I'll definitely get a build log going. I almost have my work area set back up. I have a couple of projects part way finished. I think I need to start easy first. The Halifax is going to take me a while to get figured out again. You'll see something pop up in a week or so.

Back