Hello from Colorado

Hello! I live in Denver and I’m happy to meet everyone! Especially other female of the species who are interested in model building.

I have a Midwest Products Sakonnet Daysailer kit on the way I purchased via Ebay. I’ve seen this kit many times over the years and it has still held my interest. I‘ve no tools or workbench yet, so I‘m shopping around online for ideas to get started.

I’m hoping to meet many people and hopeful for mentors as I learn many skills.

I‘m interested in J Class Yachts and the Bluenose. I want to do pof builds in the future.

Welcome aboard! I looked at the build logs for the sailboat you mentioned but found no references. Maybe once you're started, you can also start a build log of your own! Ask any questions you want on this forum, you're sure to get answers!

I did find this page you might visit:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and use the search function to see what else has been posted on the Daysailer.

We have a few women modelers here, one who is a great mentor and teacher with many videos on how to do things.

Take time to check out the many subjects in the main pages with the how to get things done.

Welcome aboard!

I've been thinking about snagging a Sakonnet Day Sailer since I live within sight of the Sakonnet River. Maybe we could start up a group build for those of us still working on perfecting our modeling skills.

*lol*

I was waiting for the kit to arrive! It's here! But I took advantage of Model Expo's moving sale! I purchased the Shipwright Series and so I'm thinking of starting the Lowell Grand Banks Dory first or at the same time as the Sakonnet Day Sailer.

I'm setting up a workspace albeit a small area I'll figure out how to organize for the builds. Also, I'm considering and shopping for new tools. I can be a bit slow in selecting things.

Thanks for the nice welcomes everyone!

@Philski Thanks I followed it and found a few others too.

@Kurt Konrath That's great to hear and I look forward to seeing those materials! I've a lot to learn for planking especially. I'm sure this is not a new thing hah

@Mira L Nice to meet you too! Longmont is not too far.

HI DO NOT RUSH THE TOOLS YOU WILL SEE WHAT YOU NEED AS YOU PROGRESS TO START OTHER THEN THE BASIC, GLUE, SANDPAPER , ETC YOU NEED A GOOD HOBBY KNIFE AN EXACTO WITH NO. 11 BLADES, AS FOR ME I HAVE FOUND THE SWANN NORTON HANDELS AND SCAPLE BLADES BETTER THEN THE EXACTO JUST ME ALSO IT WOULD NOT HURT TO FIND A USED DREMEL NO.395 TYPE5 YOU CAN FIND MANY ON EBAY UNDER ROTARY TOOLS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

@donfarr Thanks I added the Dremel and the Swann Mortons to my watchlist for consideration,
Welcome on board , useful hint , a cutting board or mat , ideal for cutting planks with a sharp knife and metal ruler , you won’t do any harm to the cutting board ! You keep adding tools etc as you go along , an electric wood bender is also useful .

60D45990-9833-4626-9AA9-C6E2203E1FC7.jpeg

@Robertd Hi Robert! Looks like you have a nice build going now.

What is a good size cutting mat to buy? Or maybe I should ask what is the smallest size that will be generally useful long term?

Welcome on board , useful hint , a cutting board or mat , ideal for cutting planks with a sharp knife and metal ruler , you won’t do any harm to the cutting board ! You keep adding tools etc as you go along , an electric wood bender is also useful .

View attachment 303880
Hi Bubble , They come in various sizes , I bought mine at a fabric shop , something you are comfortable with as you see this one 17” x 23” , this one is pretty solid too

Back