Hello from Connecticut, USA

Your never late, unless it's to your funeral.....

Good to see you have several helpers near by if needed.

Have a great time and we look forward to seeing build logs of your work.

Please excuse my delayed reply. I am in Guilford, CT and you are probably an hour or so away. I welcome an opportunity to meet with you. Do you have a location in mind?
Not really. Maybe we can figure Something out after I get back from Japan.

My name is Ed, and this is my very first post. I am returning to modeling after a 60-year hiatus. Life got in the way. I am in the process of restoring a pond boat my father made in 1928. I work on it as time and health permit. I will give it to my daughter and hopefully, it will be around for another 90-100 years. I don't have a true kit "stash." I have four 1950s-era Revell kits: two are the USS Buchanan, one is the SS Doctor Lykes, and the other is the USHS Haven. I learned about the steamer Portland, after reading a book by Edward Rowe Snow in 1961, and have wanted a model of it since. I have never done a scratch build, my experience is all in plastic. The only Portland model is by Bluejacket, and now costs US$590, plus any add-ons. With shipping and tax, it's more like US$675. I would never spend that due to my lack of experience and to maintain my marriage. Recently I scored the Bluejacket Portland kit on Ebay. It was deeply discounted and I could not pass it up, with my wife's approval.
It is essentially a large 19+lb box full of a rough hull, bags of wood, blueprints, and a box of brass and pewter parts. I want to do this right and suspect it will be a multi-year project as I learn and make mistakes. I am setting up my work area in my basement, before I attempt anything new beyond my above restoration. I know I will need advice from this group. I have saved an older thread from 2 members who were each about 50% completed with the Portland. Their photos are invaluable! Other than seeing some old Portland photos in books, I am not aware of any detailed photos. Their build photos, documentation, and build challenges have enabled me to see the ship close up, in ways I never would, otherwise. I am not good at journals, logs and diaries; but I am committed to sharing logs and photos with this group when I get underway. I have gained much build insight already and want to give back for others.
Welcome to the forum! I served as 2nd Engineering Officer on a C5-s75a, S.s Cleveland, originally the S.S. American Mail, the last of the C series of cargo ships. I also sailed the M.V. Sheldon Lykes, formerly the M.V. Alster Express for Lyke Steamship Co. in 1985. My father sailed C-3's. You don't see many modelers making merchant marine cargo ships these days.

My name is Ed, and this is my very first post. I am returning to modeling after a 60-year hiatus. Life got in the way. I am in the process of restoring a pond boat my father made in 1928. I work on it as time and health permit. I will give it to my daughter and hopefully, it will be around for another 90-100 years. I don't have a true kit "stash." I have four 1950s-era Revell kits: two are the USS Buchanan, one is the SS Doctor Lykes, and the other is the USHS Haven. I learned about the steamer Portland, after reading a book by Edward Rowe Snow in 1961, and have wanted a model of it since. I have never done a scratch build, my experience is all in plastic. The only Portland model is by Bluejacket, and now costs US$590, plus any add-ons. With shipping and tax, it's more like US$675. I would never spend that due to my lack of experience and to maintain my marriage. Recently I scored the Bluejacket Portland kit on Ebay. It was deeply discounted and I could not pass it up, with my wife's approval.
It is essentially a large 19+lb box full of a rough hull, bags of wood, blueprints, and a box of brass and pewter parts. I want to do this right and suspect it will be a multi-year project as I learn and make mistakes. I am setting up my work area in my basement, before I attempt anything new beyond my above restoration. I know I will need advice from this group. I have saved an older thread from 2 members who were each about 50% completed with the Portland. Their photos are invaluable! Other than seeing some old Portland photos in books, I am not aware of any detailed photos. Their build photos, documentation, and build challenges have enabled me to see the ship close up, in ways I never would, otherwise. I am not good at journals, logs and diaries; but I am committed to sharing logs and photos with this group when I get underway. I have gained much build insight already and want to give back for others.
Hallo Ed alias @EJP2705
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo Ed alias @EJP2705
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back