Hello from Connecticut

Hi, I'm Jim and have been retired for a couple of years and have been pursuing my lifelong interest in ships and modeling. The first couple of tries looked more like what you find in the bottom of fish tanks than on a mantle. Of late I came across a teaching video that has really helped me understand the basics and I'm starting to feel comfortable. I look forward to learning from other members, maybe getting some advice and sharing in your builds.
Jim
IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to SOS, Jim.!!
This is a great place to learn. Lots of friendly folks who are willing to share great depths of knowledge. Pull up a chair and look around. Do some searches for builds of specific models in which you have an interest. Spend some time reading then jump in and ask your questions.
Someone here will have answers.!
Again, welcome.!!

Welcome aboard. I think I had a couple of those fish tank models early in my shipmodeling career also. Most of us here probably did. But we learn and we grow and before you know it we start turning out stuff that we decide to used for target practice...lol. Enjoy your stay, there's a lot of knowledge here, and some great people.

Welcome aboard the SoS forums.

Take time to go thru and review all the general topics and help forums on the home page, lots of good stuff to see and read.

If you have a specific ship build in mind, as said earlier, do a search and see what comes up.

Many post build logs as we go along to show progress, report problems and just keep everyone watching the build.

These build logs are a great place to ask for help or folks opinions of what work needs to be fixed or how to deal with a problem you have already come up with.

Sometimes they help you by telling you what problems you might expect and how to work them or avoid them.

Kurt

Welcome Jim; I could not help but see your having some trouble with planks on your second pic. Search for
Planking the hull
that might help you with the planking. Lots of info on here; enjoy

Dear Jim
welcome abord Thumbsup :)
Glad you did not give up and found a place to get support and guidance as happened in the video and expected here with the members on the site.
You will indeed find here a great bunch of friends who will be happy to support you and share the knowledge we all have here.
Good luck with the rest of the project, I will continue to follow with great interest

Hi, I'm Jim and have been retired for a couple of years and have been pursuing my lifelong interest in ships and modeling. The first couple of tries looked more like what you find in the bottom of fish tanks than on a mantle. Of late I came across a teaching video that has really helped me understand the basics and I'm starting to feel comfortable. I look forward to learning from other members, maybe getting some advice and sharing in your builds.
Jim
View attachment 172955

View attachment 172956
Welcome aboard. Looks like you're having fun.

Jim
View attachment 172955

View attachment 172956
Hallo Jim,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Welcome to SOS and just ask if you have any trouble. There are lots of wise and helpful builder here. welcome to SOS

Back