Hello from Florida

Hello everyone. My name is Bill and I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I have recently retired from a 40 year career. Now I will have the time to again concentrate on building. I have spent the last 25 years scratch building large scale r/c air craft, but now the enthusiasm for airplanes is not there. I have always admired the skill that ship modelers possessed, but I never felt that I could achieve the level that builders as you possess. A while back I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at ship building. I purchased the Model Shipways Benjamin Latham and I am pleased with how it has progressed. I have renewed my enthusiasm for building and I am planning for my next build. For my next build, I am looking to do a POF scratch build. I know this will be a challenge, but I feel if I don’t challenge myself I will never learn. The biggest challenge I have faced so far is learning all of the terminology for ships and ship building. I find that I now spend a large amount of time on the internet learning as much as I can. The best thing is that I am having a great time.

Thanks for welcoming me aboard.

Bill

you can explore the ships built by Harold Hahn here on the forum. All his ships have plank on frame plans available

Hallo Bill,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I am very happy to hear, that you recently started with ship modeling and plan in future to make a POF-scratch build project.
If you do not know, which ship it could be, please take a look at our area discussing plansets, where you can find also reviews of them available on the market

also to get a feeling of the work you can expect, check out our building logs of scratch builder

Please be aware, that a POF scratch build is often tricky and not easy to do, and it is usually a project for years working on such a model.
So my advise is not start directly with POF 74 gun ship of the line, maybe one two or three classes smaller.
Alternatively it could be a solution to start with a POF-section model or even a POF-kit where you can learn the new challenge of POF-modeling

Look around you will find all necessary information - there are so much beautiful ships waiting to be build .....
and do not hesitate to ask questions etc.

Thanks for the welcome.

Hello Tobias and Dave,

I have been looking at the ANCRE site as of late. They have a list of very nice plans. In particular I like the LeLeudo, LeRochefort, LaVolage and I very much so like the L'Amanante. I know all of them would be a challenge, but the L'Amanante would be very challenging but beautiful. I also like the S. Caterina. At its size, I think it could be a good starting place. If I went with the LeRochefort, I could get ANCRE's book "An Introduction to Plank On Frame Scale Model Ship Building" as a guide. I plan on getting the book regardless of what plans I get. I also plan on getting the Harold Underhill books "Plank-On-Frame Models and Masting". The 2 volume set.

I have looked at the Harold Hahn plans and like several of them. The HMS Hancock, HMS Roebuck are very nice. I don't know much about what his plans contain. I have read the he has a unique was of building his hulls.

Any suggestions that you or anyone else has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

I am very happy to read that you like the ancre publications.

In the link I posted before, you can find planset reviews of all the ships and vessels you listed in your post. All reviews with detailed looking Inside, so you can see also the individual plans

and:

Book Review:
An introduction to MODEL SHIP BUILDING “DOCKYARD STYLE”
(often also "AN INTRODUCTION TO PLANKED ON FRAME SCALE MODEL SHIP BUILDING “DOCKYARD STYLE”")
by Adrian SOROLLA translation by GILLES KORENT (our member @Gilles Korent f.e leading the ShipsofScale group build of the Canoe)

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome Rodney and Uwek. Uwek, I will be sure to look at the items you mentioned. By the way, my wife and I will be in Vienna on vacation in August. We are very excited for the visit.

Bill

Uwek,
I have already read through several of the ANCRE reviews. This has made it more difficult to make a decision as they are all great projects.:)

Bill

Thanks for the welcome Rodney and Uwek. Uwek, I will be sure to look at the items you mentioned. By the way, my wife and I will be in Vienna on vacation in August. We are very excited for the visit.

Bill
Great to hear - so there should be time for a Schnitzel and a beer with me .....

Welcome aboard! You are definitely hooked. Working on one ship while also doing research and trying to figure out which ship will be next. Looking forward to seeing more of your Latham.

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome. I actually spend more time doing research than I do building. But there is nothing better then seeing all of your research come to life. I am enjoying building and learning a lot with my Benjamin Latham build. It is my first attempt at wooden ship building. I have made lots mistakes, but I have learned a lot. I wasn't sure if there would be much interest in seeing this build. This build is my introduction to wooden ship building and to see if I would enjoy it. I hooked!!

Bill

Back