Hello from Gurnee Illinois

Just joined the group. Been building models my entire life, as well being an N scale model railroader. For the past year I’ve been working on a Revell WWII LSM that I’ve modified to resemble AV 1356 Clive Steele (”The Stainless”). The Aussie’s bought four of them from the US in 1960. I had the pleasure of riding her for a day in Vietnam, and the gin and tonics were generous. Fortunately, I was put in touch with the Alumni group in Sydney, and I’ve received great advice from them. It’s close to being finished.

Although I have about 25 plastic models in my stash, including the Revell 1:96 Constitution, Heller’s Victory and Soleil Royale, I’ve decided to take a walk on the wild side and build a wooden model. I have two in my collection - Model Shipways Armed Longboat and Model Shipways Rattlesnake. Looking for advice on which one should be my first attempt. I’ve scratchbuilt all sorts of buildings for my railroad, but the ships will be a new experience.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Welcome aboard SOS, Captain! You should be considered an experienced modeler even though you have not to build any wooden model. Between the Long Boat and Rattlesnake, I would agree with Zoly, and recommend The Long Boat. Although it looks like a simple model and recommended for beginners I would not recommend this model for the beginner.
If you made a decision towards the Long Boat, I would recommend starting a build log. This way if you have any trouble with the build, the teammates can always come to the rescue with advice.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I can fully agree with the others, my argument in addition would be the bigger scale of the longboat, so it is easier to make more and accurate details

Just joined the group. Been building models my entire life, as well being an N scale model railroader. For the past year I’ve been working on a Revell WWII LSM that I’ve modified to resemble AV 1356 Clive Steele (”The Stainless”). The Aussie’s bought four of them from the US in 1960. I had the pleasure of riding her for a day in Vietnam, and the gin and tonics were generous. Fortunately, I was put in touch with the Alumni group in Sydney, and I’ve received great advice from them. It’s close to being finished.

Although I have about 25 plastic models in my stash, including the Revell 1:96 Constitution, Heller’s Victory and Soleil Royale, I’ve decided to take a walk on the wild side and build a wooden model. I have two in my collection - Model Shipways Armed Longboat and Model Shipways Rattlesnake. Looking for advice on which one should be my first attempt. I’ve scratchbuilt all sorts of buildings for my railroad, but the ships will be a new experience.

Hallo @Captain
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @Captain
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back