- Joined
- Sep 21, 2026
- Messages
- 1
- Points
- 3
Hello, and thank you for granting me access to this forum.
My name is Zsolt (pronounced “zholt”, with the first sound like the “s” in “measure”), and I am from Hungary.
Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of owning a model ship. There was a small shop in my hometown where beautiful model ships were built by hand and sold. I used to stand in front of the window and look at them for what felt like hours. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to own one or try building one myself.
Now, many years later, I came across a picture of a model ship, and something just clicked. I thought: I want one — but I don't just want to own one. I want to build one myself, from scratch.
At the moment, I honestly have no idea what I need for this hobby or exactly where to begin. I do quite a bit of DIY woodworking for myself, so I already have a lot of tools and some experience working with wood — just not at this scale!
My plan is to read through the forum, learn as much as I can, and slowly find my way into the world of model shipbuilding while working toward my first ship.
The ship I am planning to build is:
LEON
Norwegian Brigantine, 1880
Designed by Colin Archer
I'm sure I'll need plenty of help and guidance along the way, especially when it comes to figuring out the first steps and what tools and materials I will need.
I'm really looking forward to learning from all of you and hopefully, one day, seeing my own LEON completed.
Thank you in advance for your help!
My name is Zsolt (pronounced “zholt”, with the first sound like the “s” in “measure”), and I am from Hungary.
Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of owning a model ship. There was a small shop in my hometown where beautiful model ships were built by hand and sold. I used to stand in front of the window and look at them for what felt like hours. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to own one or try building one myself.
Now, many years later, I came across a picture of a model ship, and something just clicked. I thought: I want one — but I don't just want to own one. I want to build one myself, from scratch.
At the moment, I honestly have no idea what I need for this hobby or exactly where to begin. I do quite a bit of DIY woodworking for myself, so I already have a lot of tools and some experience working with wood — just not at this scale!
My plan is to read through the forum, learn as much as I can, and slowly find my way into the world of model shipbuilding while working toward my first ship.
The ship I am planning to build is:
LEON
Norwegian Brigantine, 1880
Designed by Colin Archer
I'm sure I'll need plenty of help and guidance along the way, especially when it comes to figuring out the first steps and what tools and materials I will need.
I'm really looking forward to learning from all of you and hopefully, one day, seeing my own LEON completed.
Thank you in advance for your help!







