Hello from Lincoln, CA

81 years young. 37 1/2 years in aircraft maintenance management with United Airlines. Retired in 1997. Hobbies have been amateur radio, painting and model making. My most elaborate model was a Revell U.S.S. Constitution with sails. But, I have always longed to try a wooden ship. So here I go. We recently moved into our sons' in-law setup. He and I have installed an 8 x 16 Tuff Shed on his unused RV concrete pad. It will house my amateur radio station, a 6" wide bench for my wife and I to paint, AND a second workbench for my modeling activities. Since I am on the short end of life, I do not want to start small and work my way up. So, I have decided that my project will be the Model Shipways #MS2040 USS Constitution Ship Kit, 1/76. And I know what you are already thinking. But, I have read every book I can find on building model ships and viewed many, many online videos. So, I have 2 philosophies; "In for a dime....In for a dollar" AND "Damn the torpedoes; Full speed ahead". As soon as I have the shop ready and get started, I will post how I am doing as I go along. I have nothing else to occupy me except my hobbies. Wish me luck.

WELCOME, YOU WILL FIND ALL KINDS OF HELP, ADVICE ETC, JUST ASK, BTW I AM GOING TO BE 83 THIS MONTH GOTCHA. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Welcome aboard Howard.
I agreed with your philosophy........you are 81.....go big.
The Connie you are about to build is a big task but I can feel you have very positive attitudes and that will be the motivating force behind your build.
You also mentioned in your introduction that you like to paint and that is also part of my hobbies.
Here is one of my paints.
2D735709-AADB-49AD-9DE0-36E8F5E1BD8B.jpeg

Go for it! I had the pleasure of commanding the Marine detachment on the Constitution for a couple of weeks in the summer of '98 and now that I've gotten back into ship modelling, building Old Ironsides is my goal (I have to wait until I return to the US in about 18 months; stationed in Germany right now and don't want to risk having a partially started model get broken moving back home).

Good luck with the build; am looking forward to seeing your progress.

81 years young. 37 1/2 years in aircraft maintenance management with United Airlines. Retired in 1997. Hobbies have been amateur radio, painting and model making. My most elaborate model was a Revell U.S.S. Constitution with sails. But, I have always longed to try a wooden ship. So here I go. We recently moved into our sons' in-law setup. He and I have installed an 8 x 16 Tuff Shed on his unused RV concrete pad. It will house my amateur radio station, a 6" wide bench for my wife and I to paint, AND a second workbench for my modeling activities. Since I am on the short end of life, I do not want to start small and work my way up. So, I have decided that my project will be the Model Shipways #MS2040 USS Constitution Ship Kit, 1/76. And I know what you are already thinking. But, I have read every book I can find on building model ships and viewed many, many online videos. So, I have 2 philosophies; "In for a dime....In for a dollar" AND "Damn the torpedoes; Full speed ahead". As soon as I have the shop ready and get started, I will post how I am doing as I go along. I have nothing else to occupy me except my hobbies. Wish me luck.
Hallo @Howard81
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back