Hello from Massachusetts

Hello, I am Christine from Massachusetts (USA). Super glad to have found this site!!

I have been away from miniature and scale modeling for some time. However, I do have experience with tools and wood and wood properties. As a young person, was always fascinated with model ships and ship building, alas, never attempted any.

Fast forward: I have a family member who has a strong link to maritime operations and was thinking how wonderful it would be to attempt a scale model of the ship he serves on currently. I hope it is not sacrilegious to say that it is a Break Bulk Freighter, and not a wooden ship of the class and spectacle of what I have seen here....truly gorgeous vessels!

Frustratingly, I have been unable to find a model to attempt of the type of ship he is on. So, my "Plan B" was to attempt a model of a ship with local significance. The USS Constitution immediately came to mind, until I did a little research and decided that small steps were necessary and prudent. So with that plan on hold for now...and perhaps some other ship models too...I decided to attempt a "learner" ship. (forgive my non-nautical terminology)

So in that regard, the Bluenose immediately appealed to me. Mainly due to its beautiful hull lines and it's somewhat "localish" history. Plus it seems that this model may challenge me and allow for learning/teaching new techniques. Of course, I am open to suggestion too.

I hope and trust I am able to ask a question on occasion without seeming too below your thresholds. The truism: "you don't know, what you don't know" is strong at times with me. However, I have never been shy to ask a question.

Thanks for reading
Christine Z

Last edited:
A warm welcome here on board of our forum.......
Here we have a very big number of friendly and helpful modelers, which are happy to assist where ever and when ever requested and needed.
So ask all the questions you want to..... :cool:

Hi Christine, welcome! I am quite new to this forum too, but nevertheless here's my two cents.

The Constitution is an amazing model but it is a very involved project. I wanted to do it from the get go after having toured it on a New England holiday. However, like you I quickly came to realize that I needed a "practice" model. So I chose the Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop. It was ideal. Similarly I think the Bluenose would be a good choice too. If you plan on building the Model Shipways Constitution then I would recommend building the Model Shipways Bluenose. It will help you familiarize yourself with the Model Shipways style of plans and make your Constitution plans that much easier to read.

You might consider buying the Lauck Street Shipyard practicum for the Bluenose as well. It's true that after several builds you would no longer need to rely on these courses and you will in time learn that they are not the only way of approaching a build, nevertheless I found the practicum for the Armed Virginia Sloop to be of enormous value and I know I could never have built it as successfully without it. The Constitution was my second build and I used the practicum for it as well. As a result of those two practicums, I now feel that I am well launched and have been able to strike out on my own with subsequent builds and now I don't think I would be intimidated by almost any kit. (Scratch building is another matter altogether and as of yet I haven't even contemplated it.)

Anyway, those are my thoughts for you consideration. Best of luck.
David

Thank you all for the kind welcome, and thank you for the great tip about the Lauck Street Practicums...

It's funny, as I posted this I had a memory flashback, I know somewhere in my old workshop I have a book on Model Ship Building acquired decades ago. I recall being intimidated as a youth to have to utilize such involved resources to build a model. I'll find it!

In light of modern laser cutters and CNC milling (none of which existed then) it truly astounds me the level of artistry and craft that is on display here that still hand builds from scratch. The simultaneity of inspiration and dream crushing reality could not be more acute.

The new tack is toward learning more (much more) before doing...plus it will give me a chance to add to my tool shop and devise ways to improvise existing tools and jigs.

Now off to shop...
Christine Z

Christine Z, welcome to SOS, nice to see that women will also be with her on this forum. Greeting-

Hello, I am Christine from Massachusetts (USA). Super glad to have found this site!!

I have been away from miniature and scale modeling for some time. However, I do have experience with tools and wood and wood properties. As a young person, was always fascinated with model ships and ship building, alas, never attempted any.

Fast forward: I have a family member who has a strong link to maritime operations and was thinking how wonderful it would be to attempt a scale model of the ship he serves on currently. I hope it is not sacrilegious to say that it is a Break Bulk Freighter, and not a wooden ship of the class and spectacle of what I have seen here....truly gorgeous vessels!

Frustratingly, I have been unable to find a model to attempt of the type of ship he is on. So, my "Plan B" was to attempt a model of a ship with local significance. The USS Constitution immediately came to mind, until I did a little research and decided that small steps were necessary and prudent. So with that plan on hold for now...and perhaps some other ship models too...I decided to attempt a "learner" ship. (forgive my non-nautical terminology)

So in that regard, the Bluenose immediately appealed to me. Mainly due to its beautiful hull lines and it's somewhat "localish" history. Plus it seems that this model may challenge me and allow for learning/teaching new techniques. Of course, I am open to suggestion too.

I hope and trust I am able to ask a question on occasion without seeming too below your thresholds. The truism: "you don't know, what you don't know" is strong at times with me. However, I have never been shy to ask a question.

Thanks for reading
Christine Z
Hallo Christine alias @ChristineZ
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks for reading
Christine Z
Welcome Christine!
Let me start with saying that bulkcarriers are among my favorite vessels. They have a special place in my heart.
There should be a good chance that your familymember can get some drawings onboard. You should look for at least GA ( General Arrangement) and a body plan ( gives you the form of the hull).
That being said, I think that starting with something like Bluenose is a good thing.
If you want to read about old style shipmodelling I personaly like the book "American ship models- and how to build them". My book is an old printing (1942), but I think there should be newer editions. Its plain language and sort of step by step instructions for 12 different models.
Happy modeling!
Johan E

Back