Hello from Montana!

Hello everyone,
I am a new member from Montana in the United States. From a young age I have been fascinated with pretty much everything mechanical and things that move. After high school I attended college for a degree in fine art painting and printmaking. I've worked in the railroad industry for the past 19 years but ironically trains are one machine that moves that never quite captured my imagination for some reason.
I have been a plastic modeler since I was a young child. Almost 50 now, modeling is a hobby that I've never let go of, though I admit life has gotten in the way substantially in recent years but I now have a more dedicated space in a separate shop away from our house. I'd place my plastic modeling skills in the formidable range, if I do say, and my interests run from automotive to armor, real space and science-fiction, and the occasional sailing ship model. I have always wanted to try my hand at wood ship modeling and I think now might finally be the time though I have 2 plastics going at the moment, a Revell Germany 1/50 viking ship and I am just starting what was to my retirement project, the Heller 1/100 HMS Victory, though I'm not yet retired.
I am dipping my toes into the wood ship arena starting with 3 kits I have on hand. First is an extremely cheap Chinese Amazon wooden sailboat kit. I've heard horror stories, but for a first POB attempt it should give me the flavor. It only came with enough planks for 1 layer but depending on how things go it may get 2 layers. Overall, the laser cutting and engraving looks nice, and the parts seem ready to fall out of the sprue sheets. Many parts are laughable, like the cannons, but I can upgrade those items easily enough. The second wood kit in my stash is an ancient (quite literally...from the 1970s) Marine Models viking ship. It is a solid hull needing much work to make a fashionable model out of but I think it will be a fascinating build. And my third and final wood kit at this time is the Dusek Greek Bireme. Thanks to my collegiate Fine Arts education I have a deep appreciation and interest in antiquity spanning much farther back the even the classical Greeks, and I wish there were more modeling subjects on this period of time, but accurate information is very much lacking. At any rate the Bireme helps satisfy that interest somewhat.
I'm primarily here for information, tips, tricks, and the lore of ships and history. I may be slow to update build logs, and most certainly will be challenged by the wood medium and performing accurate rigging on a ship like the Victory, but please be patient. So far this seems like a friendly and welcoming place to learn. Included are some samples of my work. Thank you for having me!

20231218_134604.jpg

Screenshot_20231218-094258_Amazon Shopping.jpg

P4090014.jpg

P4090017.jpg

P4090025.jpg

P4090050.jpg

P4090053.jpg

photobucket-15351-1357849996975.jpg

20181120_094155.jpg

1354036420358.jpg

1354041847439.jpg

1354041846429.jpg

1354041847989.jpg

20191216_174001.jpg

Also from my side a warm welcome Dan. You already have quite a collection of models, I am confident you will also succeed in wood modeling.
Several members have built or are building the Victory. Rigging such a ship correctly is a great challenge but when you start a build log you will receive all help needed.

Hello Dan, and welcome to SOS.
You certainly have some skills in modeling and painting/ weathering. No doubt you will be able to apply these in wooden ship building too. Perhaps we will be learning from you, I look forward to your posts.
You are Welcome on SOS.

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and encouragement! I do pride myself on my weathering. It's nearly the sole reason I enjoy armor modeling because the subject matter itself does not greatly interest me. For me, as a visual artist, the look and feel of the end product is of greater importance than the accuracy of it. That's not to imply that accuracy isn't important to me, as I believe it can coexist with the mood and ambiance of the model and usually accentuates it.
I have been scouring the build logs for Heller Victory builds and one of the best I've seen yet is Moarein's (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/hms-victory-1-100-heller-completed-build.5028/). He has done many things with the kit that I've had floating around my brain for some time, namely a wooden deck, but one thing I might want to do is all wooden spars. Given the complex shapes of many of Victory's masts though, I'm not sure if I'll be doing that or not.
Again, thank you for the welcome and I'll try to stay engaged and active!

Welcome to our forum and have fun.
I like what I see. Top.

also from my side a warm WELCOME here on board of our forum
the weathering on your tanks is looking great - Bravo

Back