Hello from Noosa Australia - New Member

I have just joined this site as a new boat builder and I am certainly going to need some help

I have just been given a Billing Bounty 492 kit by the family of a good mate who has just passed away. He had been making boat models for a few years but unfortunately passed away without being able to build this one.

My task is to build this one for the family in his memory

I have built model planes in the past, some just from plans but never a boat of this complexity

I am just about to start but I find that there are no real instructions so I need to find any help that is available online

I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction

Tony

I have just joined this site as a new boat builder and I am certainly going to need some help

I have just been given a Billing Bounty 492 kit by the family of a good mate who has just passed away. He had been making boat models for a few years but unfortunately passed away without being able to build this one.

I have built model planes in the past, some just from plans but never a boat of this complexity

I am just about to start but I find that there are no real instructions so I need to find any help that is available online

Tony
Welcome to SOS from another Noosa Shire resident. And now we are three (that I know of). I'm a first time scratch builder of 4 years experience so I might be able to help a bit but there are members on here with vast experience and I'm sure you will get the help you need. Meanwhile I'll do a bit of a search and see what I can find.

Tony
Hi again Tony
Here's a build log which would be worth a look.
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/billings-boats-hms-bounty.3014/

Hi again Tony
Here's a build log which would be worth a look.
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/billings-boats-hms-bounty.3014/
Thanks Ian that is a good start

i am just trying to get myself organised before I start. I brought a few of my mates tools back with me and I am slowly working out what they are all for!

Work area now setup and waiting on my light/magnifier to arrive before I actually start doing anything so plenty of time to research

One question if I may. Where is the best place for supplies? There don’t seem to be any local model shops

Tony

Tony
Welcome aboard Tony, and the best of luck with your build.
Noting your model store query; can't speak to any walk in stores up your way, but from an online perspective I use Frontline Hobbies here in Newcastle quite a lot, along with BNA Model World in VIC. I'm sure one of the SoS QLD members will have more local recommendations for you as well.
Cheers, Steve

Thanks Ian that is a good start

i am just trying to get myself organised before I start. I brought a few of my mates tools back with me and I am slowly working out what they are all for!

Work area now setup and waiting on my light/magnifier to arrive before I actually start doing anything so plenty of time to research

One question if I may. Where is the best place for supplies? There don’t seem to be any local model shops

Tony
You are right. Brass can be bought at Toyworld (Mr Toys) Warana but everything else I think needs to be bought on line.

There are some good Australian Hobby shops but almost all purchases are + postage and that makes single or inexpensive items too dear.

We subscribe to Amazon Prime and can get most things even from o/seas post free.

I've also recently started to buy from AliExpress and they have been reliable so far.

Then there are the shops advertised here on SOS for rigging, ropes, guns, etc etc which have good quality parts at reasonable prices.

The most difficult bit is getting parts to scale.
Have a look at this site for printable rulers.
I also bought a plastic ruler with various scale notches along the edge for quick checking of parts. Not sure where I got it.

Welcome aboard Tony, and the best of luck with your build.
Noting your model store query; can't speak to any walk in stores up your way, but from an online perspective I use Frontline Hobbies here in Newcastle quite a lot, along with BNA Model World in VIC. I'm sure one of the SoS QLD members will have more local recommendations for you as well.
Cheers, Steve
I agree about BNA Model World. They have a huge range at reasonable prices.

The most difficult bit is getting parts to scale.
Have a look at this site for printable rulers.
I also bought a plastic ruler with various scale notches along the edge for quick checking of parts. Not sure where I got it.
And here's the link for the Lumber Gauge. I find it extremely useful to keep things like planking and nails etc in scale. From another favourite online seller.
https://www.hobbytools.com.au/scale-lumber-gauge

Could somebody point me in the right direction regarding which glue to use. In my plane making time I used mainly balsa cement for the most part or epoxy for extra strength. Is there somewhere that describes what glue to use where for a static boat such as my Billing Bounty

Tony

Many of us use a combination of PVA glue (carpenter glue like Titebond) and a bit of CA glues (Cyanoacrylate or some such spelling) Part of it is learning which glue to use when. Also, there are different thicknesses of CA glues. :) For the thin stuff, you need a perfect bond between the parts, but it dries the fastest. It also has a tendency to flow or run where you don't want it. Slightly thicker type that is sometimes referred to as medium will fill a slight gap, but will take a little longer to dry.

Hope that helps !

Jeff

Hi Tony and welcome to this wonderful site. You will find lots of very friendly and helpful people here and once you start looking around the site you will find some truly exceptional builds that will blow your mind. I am also from Noosa Shire and very recently connected with Masters Mate. Good luck with your build and have lots of fun. Cheers Davydd

Hi Tony and welcome to this wonderful site. You will find lots of very friendly and helpful people here and once you start looking around the site you will find some truly exceptional builds that will blow your mind. I am also from Noosa Shire and very recently connected with Masters Mate. Good luck with your build and have lots of fun. Cheers Davydd
Thanks Davydd

I am sure it will be fun. At the moment I am just trying to get myself prepared and resist the temptation to just get on with it

Tony

Could somebody point me in the right direction regarding which glue to use. In my plane making time I used mainly balsa cement for the most part or epoxy for extra strength. Is there somewhere that describes what glue to use where for a static boat such as my Billing Bounty

Tony
In our Aussie market I have found Selleys Aquadhere Quick Set wood glue is excellent. You can hold wooden parts in place with light pressure to get a bond, which often means you don't need to clamp and wait.

Aquadhere.jpg

I also use Weldbond, especially when metal parts are involved, rather than CA. I don't have to mask up for either of these glues whereas with CA I have a serious reaction if not protected like an astronaut.

weldbond.jpg

I decant small quantities of Aquadhere and Weldbond into small bottles with applicators (from Choice Noosaville) to apply to the job.

CRAFT292721.jpg

Go well.

In our Aussie market I have found Selleys Aquadhere Quick Set wood glue is excellent. You can hold wooden parts in place with light pressure to get a bond, which often means you don't need to clamp and wait.

View attachment 429094

I also use Weldbond, especially when metal parts are involved, rather than CA. I don't have to mask up for either of these glues whereas with CA I have a serious reaction if not protected like an astronaut.

View attachment 429095

I decant small quantities of Aquadhere and Weldbond into small bottles with applicators (from Choice Noosaville) to apply to the job.

View attachment 429096

Go well.
Thanks Ian. I will go and try those glues and will go and rummage around Choice Noosaville which is 2 minutes away from me

Thanks Davydd

I am sure it will be fun. At the moment I am just trying to get myself prepared and resist the temptation to just get on with it

Tony
Hi Tony, that is the best start you can make and the best attitude to have. "Make haste slowly." (festina lente). Easy to say but hard to do. Your skills with plastic kits will help and like all of us, you will make mistakes but they will teach you quickly and if you persist you will be hooked forever. My current Bismarck build is full of PE which I have never done before and initially I was hesitant but acetone and patience have helped me get rid of my doubts. You have an ambitious project for a first timber kit but I am sure you will get there. Thanks to John Hendrix for information on the quote, Cheers Davydd :)

Last edited:

Tony
Welcome. You will find a friendly crew here with centuries of experience they are willing to share.

Back