Hello from North Carolina, USA

Hey everyone, new guy here. I'm trying to figure out exactly what has brought me to this page. I have / have had a lot of hobbies but I suppose it started due to being fascinated by ships built into bottles. However, after watching a lot of youtube videos and checking out other peoples builds, I don't think I actually want to make a ship in a bottle but rather a much larger scale model.

Historically speaking, North Carolina has a rich history of pirates and I've always loved the old boats you see in Pirate movies... both the pirate ships themselves and the British / Spanish warships that pursue them. I've sailed once from inland NC to the outer banks.. Ocracoke island specifically, where Blackbeard frequented. I suppose those are the types of ships I'm most interested in, although I was also obsessed with the Titanic as a kid and I've always wanted to do a massive model of one. I guess we'll see what happens.

I've built a lot of plastic car models growing up and I got pretty good at it. Even to the point where things were being customized and modified from the original plans, or details added that didn't exist. I have been 3d printing for about 4 years and I have a pretty decent SLA resin printer that can do some pretty amazing small details. I have a lot of tools and finesse based skills from other hobbies like lockpick making that I think will crossover. I don't want to get too confident, but I think I can do this so I'm gonna give it a shot. I think my biggest obstacle is learning more about boats. "Tall boats", I think.. specifically.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Thanks for having me here.

hello and welcome to the community

are you thinking on trying to scratch build a model or perhaps a kit or modified kit? there really is not any ship that is a "pirate ship" a pirate ship most likely was anything a pirate and his crew could get their hands on. The time period would be around 1700ish
As far as pirate ships the black Pearl kit by ZHL is the classic pirate ship model there are a few build logs on the Black Pearl here on the forum.
As far as researching plans the farther you go back in the 1700 the less you will find in plans of any ship. If you want to start off with a smaller ship the Bermuda sloop was a common vessel used by pirates along the eastern seaboard all the way down to the Caribbean.

typical Eastern seaboard pirate ships were not the big war ships with lots of cannons and fancy carvings those took a big crew to sail. pirates used small, fast and easy to sail types of ships.
It sounds like you have acquired the skills for model building so building a model ship should be no problem.
To learn how to build model ships it is wise to start off small and work your way up here is a typical set of working drawings for a pirate sloop.

hahn nmm.JPG

using original plans the ship is traced in CAD and modeling plans are developed from there

a hawke1.jpga hawke2_rescaled.jpga hawke3.jpga hawke4_rescaled.jpga hawke5_rescaled.jpga hawke6_rescaled.jpga hawke7_rescaled.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking to start with. I know for sure I want to build with wood. I am aware that there is no 1 single "pirate ship", and I'm not actually a huge fan of those Disney pirate movies, (I did see the first couple but lost interest in them) so I do not think I'd want to build a Black Pearl kit. I plan on building something that existed in real life, and I would want to build something that is a little more timeless than a movie prop. That being said, I do love the boats with the captains quarters in the rear of the ship, and the Black Pearl DOES have that. As far as I can tell, this is a Galleon type of ship. (please correct me if I'm mistaken) Something about that shape is very attractive to me. I also like the warships of that time period so it might take me a little while to settle on choosing one, but if forced to decide right now, it would be a Galleon.

I've been watching Olha Batchvarov's youtube channel and I'm pretty inspired, her work (although my ability to judge is admittedly novice) I find amazing.

FROM ME ALSO WELCOME, LOOKING AT A GALLEON CHECK OUT PAVEL NITKIN ST BARTHLOME OLHA IS ONE SUPER WOMEN, SHE IS FIRST CLASS MODELER AND PERSON CK UTBE FOR THE ST BARTHLOME GREAT WORK BY PAVEL, SEE IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO ONE THEN CHOOSE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

I tried, but found nothing searching for "PAVEL NITKIN ST BARTHLOME(W)", "ST BARTHLOME(W) ship", etc.

If you have a link, I'll check it out.

I tried, but found nothing searching for "PAVEL NITKIN ST BARTHLOME(W)", "ST BARTHLOME(W) ship", etc.

If you have a link, I'll check it out.
Here

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking to start with. I know for sure I want to build with wood. I am aware that there is no 1 single "pirate ship", and I'm not actually a huge fan of those Disney pirate movies, (I did see the first couple but lost interest in them) so I do not think I'd want to build a Black Pearl kit. I plan on building something that existed in real life, and I would want to build something that is a little more timeless than a movie prop. That being said, I do love the boats with the captains quarters in the rear of the ship, and the Black Pearl DOES have that. As far as I can tell, this is a Galleon type of ship. (please correct me if I'm mistaken) Something about that shape is very attractive to me. I also like the warships of that time period so it might take me a little while to settle on choosing one, but if forced to decide right now, it would be a Galleon.

I've been watching Olha Batchvarov's youtube channel and I'm pretty inspired, her work (although my ability to judge is admittedly novice) I find amazing.
Pirates favored sloops, and rarely used larger vessels. Sloops are fast, can escape capture by fleeing into shallow water, and pirates added armaments to ensure that lesser armed cargo vessels would surrender rather than fight.

Pirates favored sloops, and rarely used larger vessels. Sloops are fast, can escape capture by fleeing into shallow water, and pirates added armaments to ensure that lesser armed cargo vessels would surrender rather than fight.
I'm learning. As it turns out, I'm not really into "Pirate ships" that much, I am much more attracted to the larger ships like Galleon's and those Man-of-War ships you appear to be fond of.. those are awesome. I really like that Ragusian Carrack video series from Olha, so I'm dialing in a little bit now. I'll probably start with a Carrack or Galleon.

FOR ME IF I WAS GOING TO START A BUILD FOR THE FIRST TIME MAKE SURE THE PLANS/INSTRUCTIONS ARE VERY GOOD / SHOULD BE EXCELLENT YOU CAN CHECK HERE ON SOS FOR WHAT MEMBERS THINK MANY MODELERS STRT TO BIG AND GET STUCK DO NOT FINISH AND LEAVE THER HOBBY WE DO NOT WANT YOU TO DO THAT YOU PICKED A GOOD SUBJECT TO DEAL WITH AGAIN I LIKE PAVELS ST BARTHLOME BECAUSE OF HIS YOU TUBES AND OHLAS YOU TUBE GREAT PRICE FOR ME IS TO BIG AT THIS POINT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

ok now you are starting to narrow down your subject eastern seaboard pirates are 1700ish the galleon is a 100 years earlier and did not sail the eastern seaboard of North America. the galleon time period is the 1500s and 1600s that far back plans did not exist.

a good book on the subject is The Galleon by Peter Kirsch

there are a number of kits of galleons that you can bash into a custom model. I do not know any kits off hand because i am not a kit builder.

Thanks for all the welcomes. I think I've decided to try to build the Golden Hind. I found the plans (regular A2 sized) printed them off and scanned them into .pdf. Now I can scale them up and print them as posters in Adobe, and assemble them, trace, etc and work off that.

I'm probably biting off more than I can chew but I'm going for it anyways because I don't want to spend $500 on a kit. I have a lot of tools already so I can get started on this for the price of the wood sheet. I think I'm going to buy basswood sheets.

I'll start a build log when I get started

Welcome aboard! Whatever you start with, it will be a good one - because it will be yours. :)

Back