Hello from the American Southwest!

I'll get into the thick of things a little more thoroughly when I have more time but I wanted to take a moment and say hello.

I came across this hobby not so long ago when I bought one of those Metal Earth models on a whim. My long time love of maritime history and basic modeling crashed together and here I am. After searching through so many forums, this was my first. I don't wish to say anything ill of any other forums, but this seemed the most inviting due to the people. I read through some ship logs, kit reviews, and just seeing the community interaction was enough for me.

I plan to turn this into a lifelong hobby. I love tinkering, new people, trying new stuff, challenges, and working with my hands. I'll have another thread up shortly to gather some opinions on a first build but right now my main concern is finding the right tools for proper wooden ship building. My current supply of tools is either for home repairs, firearm maintenance, watches, or fixing glasses. HA!

So thank you for having me. I am pretty excited to be here and join your community.

G'day Matt from the Land Downunder
Welcome to our family here on the friendliest model forum: SOS.
Its always great to have a new member and it's great to have a newbie to this rather intoxicating hobby. I would like you to know, if you need any advice on what type of tools you need to advice on how to do something, all you have to do is to ask questions. One of your siblings here will help you.
Happymodeling

I don't wish to say anything ill of any other forums, but this seemed the most inviting due to the people.
I don't think you can say any better. Thank you Matt, and welcome aboard SOS, where the fun is just the beginning!! Take your time and enjoy cruising thru various topics. Don't hesitate to ask, we are here to help.

Thank you, gentlemen. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions in short order. Right now I'm just navigating the forums and making sure I don't break any policies. Haha!

there really aren't any rules or policies this group is quite tolerant of anything

I plan to turn this into a lifelong hobby. I love tinkering, new people, trying new stuff, challenges, and working with my hands

you may of just found tinkers paradise from war ships to merchant ships to work boats and anything else. you can venture into steam or sailing ships. from a raft to modern day ships. i would suggest clicking on the navy board model link to the right and explore the archives. you can also visit the sister site Model Ship builder for more topics and build logs.

as for tools you will need depends on where you want to start from rough lumber to milled wood. We have members here who use a laser cutter, 3d printers, hobby size tools to chain saws.
We have scratch builders and kit builders all equal because it takes skill to do both.

jump in ask questions, post comments get involved

I'll get into the thick of things a little more thoroughly when I have more time but I wanted to take a moment and say hello.

I came across this hobby not so long ago when I bought one of those Metal Earth models on a whim. My long time love of maritime history and basic modeling crashed together and here I am. After searching through so many forums, this was my first. I don't wish to say anything ill of any other forums, but this seemed the most inviting due to the people. I read through some ship logs, kit reviews, and just seeing the community interaction was enough for me.

I plan to turn this into a lifelong hobby. I love tinkering, new people, trying new stuff, challenges, and working with my hands. I'll have another thread up shortly to gather some opinions on a first build but right now my main concern is finding the right tools for proper wooden ship building. My current supply of tools is either for home repairs, firearm maintenance, watches, or fixing glasses. HA!

So thank you for having me. I am pretty excited to be here and join your community.

Welcome Matt.
I believe you have stumbled upon a bunch of guys (and girls) who LOVE their hobby and will always be there to give you any assistance that you may require.
I started with an xacto knife, sanding stick and PVA glue. (and the tool set grows from there)

We wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back