Hello from the North of England (almost Scotland!)

G'day Eskimo, that is a very nice looking model you have built, I love the mixed natural wood colours, I look forward to your build log if you do one, I originally come from the North of England, a little mining town called Crook, enjoy your modelling and also SOS,

Best regards John,
Thanks John, I think the mixed wood tones happened more by chance than design! However I do like the effect and would try and pay more attention to the wood, the stain and oil on the next build.
John

Hello from another retired Brit who started building Mary Rose in May. We seem to have reached the same stage in the same time.
I'm just doing the walkway (behind you there) but I have fitted the gun port lids.
I just felt that if I fitted the gun ports now I'd be bound to knock them while doing the rigging - I've left them for the end!
Measure twice, Cut once - you went through the same school of engineering as I did!!
John

Looking very good - why not srating a building log, just from this status and show us more often something of your work on the Mary Rose....
Thanks Uwe. I'll give it some thought! I suspect the next stages will be even slower than the main build!
John

I just felt that if I fitted the gun ports now I'd be bound to knock them while doing the rigging - I've left them for the end!
Measure twice, Cut once - you went through the same school of engineering as I did!!
John
Hi
I didn't start a build log but I've made a few posts on my progress. I have done some rigging concurrent with hull assembly.
Some of my contraptions to assist in this may (or may not) be of interest.

Hi
I didn't start a build log but I've made a few posts on my progress. I have done some rigging concurrent with hull assembly.
Some of my contraptions to assist in this may (or may not) be of interest.
Thanks, I've just started to look at the rigging and have been wondering where to start to ensure even lengths and tension on the shrouds. I've yet to decide whether to assemble off the hull as you have done or on the hull as some of the build logs show.

Well, I've just finished after almost 10 months. It's my first build of a larger model and my first attempt at rigging. When I started on the shrouds I swore I'd never build another sailing vessel again, however now that I've completed I'd really like to build another and use the knowledge that I've gathered and complete to a higher standard. My dead-eyes are terrible!! Don't look for historical accuracy!!

100.jpg102.jpg103.jpg105.jpg107.jpg108.jpg

I think my dead-eyes may be a bit more level than yours but your shrouds look a lot better than mine.
Your 10 month build vs my 9 month was perhaps a better schedule.

I fixed the dead-eye to the hull with the chain then laced it to the dead eye on the shroud and had great difficulty trying to get them even. Next time I would fix the dead-eye to the shroud, lace the dead-eyes, all evenly to matched lengths, then fix to the hull.
Live and Learn!

Congratulations for this model - Very good built, especially for a debut model Thumbsup

Thanks Uwe - I know there are many faults but it has given me a start into the hobby and I've learnt so much along the way! I'm taking a short break as the garden is calling but I've already been looking for my next project. Bigger and Better!!!!!!
Thanks
John

Nice work on your Mary Rose, I’m just sizing the masts atm.
Thanks. I was disappointed with the way the dead-eyes turned out but pleased with the build overall. This was my first attempt, I'm trying to decide what to tackle next, whatever it is I'll concentrate more on the rigging!

I was a marine engineer and at sea for 18 years in the merchant navy, UK and Canada. Worked in Engineering ashore until retirement however always maintained an interest in ships and shipping.
My first attempt at a ship model was HMS Endurance's longboat, I was reasonably pleased by the results and learnt a lot (mostly from my mistakes!) With lockdown I took the plunge and purchase the Caldercraft version of the Mary Rose. I've always been fascinated by her, I lived in Portsmouth, England, and had a bedsit in the same house as one of the divers working on the excavation of the wreck. We watched the lift live and nearly choked on our beers with the rest of the country when the lifting frame "jumped" as it broke the surface.
Having seen a couple of the other members builds I think mine will be a very pale comparison to some of their incredible models, but I'll give it a go!
As well as learning from the build photos I'd like to learn more about woods, sources of woods and other fittings here in the UK, and oils, stains and varnishes to give the best finishes.
John
Hallo @Eskimo
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Welcome aboard John! I'm just getting underway and finding this a brilliant group. Congratulations on you build, it' a helluva way to start! I'm in the same country.
Max

Back