Hello from UK (Wiltshire) - J Class Endeavour - first build!

Hello! Mike here :)

New to this forum (thank you admins for the swift approval yesterday!) but not new to model making. As a child I built many Tamiya 1/24 scale static cars, and enhanced this around 10 years ago by making a couple of Tamiya radio controlled buggies.

I’m now back out of model making “retirement” again and entering the world of static wooden ship modelling. In my late teens / early twenties I was an avid sailor and have sailed everything from a dinghy to an 80’ gaff rigged ketch. A combination of un-abating sea sickness and also a lack of time made me give up - however I’ve retained my love of the sea and sailing ships.

I’ve bought a 1:80 kit of Endeavour from Amati and have got as far as a tentative start on the first hull planking. I’ve taken pictures and will start a build log when I get chance.

Really pleased to have found this group and look forward to sharing my progress and learning lots of new skills and techniques

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
Many Thanks for starting the building log of your project
For everybody who want to take a look:

Welcome from the next county to this very helpful forum. Your choice of an Amati kit is a good call: the fittings and materials are very good but watch out for shortfalls in the latter. Cornwall Model Boats is an excellent source of kits and materials top-ups.

Mike,

Welcome into the SOS community. I too am a very recent member and have started my build log “seagull” (plank on frame scratch forum). You will find the assistance provided by the other members very useful, particularly when something goes wrong offering solutions and encouragement.

The best of luck with your model and you should be well into it as the autumn/winter approaches.

Seagull Shipwright

Back