Hello from Upstate NY

I have been a member for going on 2 months, but never posted an introduction.

I live in the Syracuse NY USA area, where summer is short and the winter is long. Snow is likely in the area by the end of this week and then it will be April until there won't be snow in the forecast at least one day per week.

I will be retiring from full time working sometime in early 2021, so I should have more time to enjoy my new hobby. I am also a part time portrait and performance photographer and I plan to keep up with that in retirement, as well as the possibility of doing some consulting work as well.

I have been an avid fan of tall ships for as long as I can remember. I went to a summer naval school (Culver Military, Culver, IN) for three summers and was a crew member on the O.W. Fowler, a three masted wooden hull ship on the lake where the school is located (http://www.maxinkuckee.history.pasttracker.com/cef_cma_fowler/fowler.htm). I don't think I could still climb to the top of the mizzen mast to shake out or furl the royal sail that was my station. I probably have read most of the Royal Navy fiction series such as Forester (2x), Kent, and O'Brian. On one of my business trips a few years ago, I was finally able to get to Portsmouth and the Royal Navy Museum. It was a wonderful two days.

I built plastic ship models at one time, but always wanted to try my hand at a wooden ship. I starting a Mamoli Lexington in late December 2018 and finished it in September 2020 while working and being on the road about 50% of the time. While my skills were somewhat minimal, it was great fun and incredibly relaxing to work on the model (relaxing, except the times when I realized I had done something wrong several steps back and I had to find a work around). So it seems I am hooked at this time and along with cycling (when the weather suits) and photography, I have found a hobby to do for a while. All three of my (adult) children have requested that I build a ship for them to display in their homes, so I guess I have pretty good motivation to continue.

Thanks to all those forum member who have already offered advice and comments to me.

Last edited:
Dear jeff
welcome aboard Thumbsup :)
Good luck in retirement, as it seems you have good plans.
You have joined a wonderful group that is happy to share knowledge in the field and I have no doubt that your abilities will grow with the experience you share with us and during the construction of the models.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Welcome to the SOS after 2 months of research! I never knew there were any lakes in Indiana that could sail a tall ship other than Michigan. Looking forward to you future builds and retirement in 2021. Welcome.

Welcome to SOS. I too will be retiring soon hopefully in about 1 1/2 years. So, I hope that I will be able to enjoy the freedom that retirement brings.

Back