Hello from Western Pennsylvania

Thanks for adding me. I’m a former US Marine, (with sea time) who decided that it’s time to try my hand at building a ship for the first time. I’m considering starting with the Shipyard 1:72 card model of the HMS Alert, as a beginner with undeveloped skills. I want to concentrate on 18th century small warships, and I’d like to modify it to represent the Continental Navy cutter Revenge, 14, which operated in the Channel, the Bay of Biscay and in the West Indies from 1777 to 1779.

Welcome aboard. I assume you've had some experience building paper models before. They can be tricky. But just take your time, be patient and above all relax and enjoy this wonderful hobby.

also a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Welcome to SOS, if you create your own building log, there will probably be many good tips and tricks for your project.

No, I’ve never built any paper or wood model before. I’m not bad at building real world structures though. My buddy and I just built a three story addition to his house, and he’s a carpentry instructor. I chose the card model because the hull construction in the Shipways kit seems to be more simplified and easier for a beginner than in a PoB kit, but looks good from a realism standpoint. I’m used to making things straight, plumb and level in real construction but the curves and lines of a ship hull are a different beast.

Welcome aboard SOS, Eric. We are glad you found us and wishing to have as much fun as we do!

Should be a good build - make sure you've got some decent (and comfortable) small scissors and blades. I'm building a paper 'Alert', but a modern riv from the Polish company JSC

I'm building a paper 'Alert', but a modern riv from the Polish company JSC
What a surprise @Sulaire You are building the model, and we the last ones who know about it? :p Just Kidding... But... I think it would be very nice, if you can share with the build log with all of us. Actually, I don't think we have a single build log of models from JSC company. What do you think? ;) Is it possible or just a dream?

well, it's a build that I come back to off and on - from before I joined here, so not many photos ...

well, it's a build that I come back to off and on - from before I joined here, so not many photos ...
It is ok, no worries. It doesn't have to be from the begging. If you are still building it we would love to see the construction to have an idea of what this is card model is about...maybe someone decides to build one in the future.

Back