Hello. HMS Terror Occre kit.

Read up on Matthew Betts; he's an archeologist and author on whose plans the Terror model was designed. He also wrote a book on the Franklin expedition and the history and design plan of the Terror.
The TV movie is interesting
but becomes fictionalized at the ending.

One interesting tidbit on the Terror:
Matthew Betts noted that when the divers were down on the Terror they noted two design changes ......the davits were curved, not square; and there were two curved roof "outhouses" on each side of the stern. These were not included in the kit, I fabricated them from a piece of curved molding.

A fun kit with history..... good instructions. looking really nice.
If you can, get the Matthew Betts book on the terror. There are some great ideas and examples there.

(My only issue was the display case. After all that work, I wanted to protect it on display.
I bought the plexiglass cut to size and assembled it myself. (first time working with plexi).
The cost here in the US exceeded $250.) Working with the solvent was challenging to say the least.

I'm working on the same model myself. Just working on te ice channels along the hull. Soon I'll be doing the bow plating. So I have a question that maybe someone can answer... The iron plates are referred to here and there as being "riveted" in place. Matthew Betts, in his book, shows them as having a row of rivets all the way around the perimeter of each plate in the external hull side elevation dwg on pg. 135. That would imply that they didn't overlap. But the details of the application of the actual brass plates on his model as in Figs on pp 184 and 185 show them apparently overlapped and with each plate having rivets simulated on only two edges, as they would look if overlapped and riveted in typical platework style. And they overlap from bottom to top and from aft to bow, like shingles on a roof (the upper and most forward plates being topmost.
Q: which is it? I can make an argument for both designs having advantages. Overlap seems more structurally strong as you have fewer exposed edges for the ice to get at, but on the other hand, each seam has a raised edge.

I believe overlapped is correct. I think models have what appear to be plates aligned edge to edge as a simplification, making plating with pre-riveted strips of copper easier to make on a model. The best way to simulate the plating would be having each plate showing rivets along one long side and one short side, giving the appearance of properly overlapped plates.

Back