Hello. HMS Terror Occre kit.

I believe overlapped is correct. I think models have what appear to be plates aligned edge to edge as a simplification, making plating with pre-riveted strips of copper easier to make on a model. The best way to simulate the plating would be having each plate showing rivets along one long side and one short side, giving the appearance of properly overlapped plates.
With the laps facing aft and down? I.e. starting the plates at the keel and working up and forward? Only it's strange that Betts would make am error on his ship drawing (not the model dwg).

Last edited:
With the laps faxing aft and down? I.e. starting the plates at the keel and working up and forward?
I don’t know offhand, but it is documented in one of my reference books and I remember reading the proper direction of the laps.

My guess is the plates lap by placing plates on the hull starting at the bow and waterline and moving down and aft, overlapping previously laid plates. I know some of the other members have the correct answer and I am away from home at the moment.

I don’t know offhand, but it is documented in one of my reference books and I remember reading the proper direction of the laps.
Also, these plates were 3/8" thick and if overlapped would need great machining precision to match-drill all of the holes ahead od time. It must have been hard enough just forming the to.shape to conform to the ship's hull curves. I'm trying to figure out how they were attached. You can't rivet if you can't get at the inside end of the rivet to push against it while the outside rivet end is hammered while hot.

One interesting note is that some descriptions include is that the plating continued all along the sides just below the ice Chanel.
I don't remeber if Betts agrees with that.
One interesting note is that some descriptions include is that the plating continued all along the sides just below the ice Chanel.
I don't remeber if Betts agrees with that.
how far along the sides? The drawings in his book show the plating ending just fwd of the foremast.

A caveat on these drawings : initial photos of the sunken Terror in Terror Bay confirm that the davits were changed from square block and tackle type to curved. Also the drawings don't show the "outhouses" at the stern, which are confirmed by the dive photos.
These must have later modifications made during the prep for the fatal voyage?

Back