Hello, New Member.....

I didn’t have time for hobbies during my working life and now I am retired I came upon model ship building a little too late. I am not sure how or why I drifted into building a 1:25 scale OCCRE model kit of HMS Terror, but 18 months later, at the end of March the model was finished and installed in a display case.

Along the way I ran into many issues that needed investigation, I acquired a number of books and read many articles, many of which were on this site and learned about sailing vessels as well as modelling techniques.

I am not an expert and know relatively little on this subject, I needed the next modelling challenge, but realised I did not have the time to progress gradually and decide to go for a scratch build.

What I learnt from my first model:-
  • It takes a long time to complete a model so you need to have a subject that inspires, to maintain focus and continues to drive progress. I therefore looked behind the model at the history of the vessel, the people and events that shaped its existence.
  • Satisfaction must come from the actual research and build and not from the completion.
  • Models end up larger that you think, so consider what to do once it is completed.
I started my search for the next project in April and have decided to log this next build (Seagull). I would like to thank all the people who have assisted me with information, materials and techniques that will ultimately make this possible.

Welcome. It would be great if you start a log for your next build as it is always good to see what other people are up to.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
Seagull - a very interesting project ......

Thank you for your kind welcome. Please feel free to follow my SOS Seagull build log. I also have many questions that I will be posting over the coming months so information and views very much appreciated.

It is never to late to start building ships, unless they have laid you 6' under!

Your experience grows with each and every task you complete.

As you may have learned that and seen many have several projects going at same time.

This allows you to make a change of pace when you get frustrated by one task on a separate build.

Kurt, thanks for the words of encouragement. I built my first model from a kit with only a few bits left over and bought some very basic tools. For the Seagull build I will literally be building from scratch. Materials and tools to be purchased!

Kurt, thanks for the words of encouragement. I built my first model from a kit with only a few bits left over and bought some very basic tools. For the Seagull build I will literally be building from scratch. Materials and tools to be purchased!
Your first model is always special. It may have some mistakes, but it also displays all the lessons you learned, and there are many parts that surpass your expectations. For my first model, it was the hand made sails and running rigging which I'm especially proud of, particularly because I had no idea whatsoever how to make them when I started.

Back