Hello! Newbie Suggestions?

I'm a long time lurker on this forum. I jumped back into modeling a few years before Covid hit. Mostly working on plastic Sci-Fi, airplane and ship kids (Revell 1/96 Constitution was a looong and entertaining build).

After following some of the amazing build logs on here I finally decided to jump into wooden ships! I've been working on the Occre Polaris for the last month. Really enjoying the process. I've have made some glaring mistakes but am learning a lot. I'm about 1/2 done and already looking at what my next kit will be now that I've figured out what I know (and more importantly what I don't know.)

Any suggestions for another entry level kit? I really like the Occre Polaris kit. Having good instructions and youtube videos to follow was very helpful.

Wanted to say thank you to everyone who as posted build logs / videos / pictures. They've been a huge help!

Hi Red Librarian
I am glad that you joined. We are all here to help. It would be nice if you could start a build log so we can see your progress. OcCre does make good kits from starting out to advanced. I would consider the Jabeque or the Albatros since they are similar to what you are building now and it stays in the OcCre brand which they do have good manuals and instructions. These two seem to have just a little more rigging and some cannons added.

Most of the Mantua, Panart, Corel, and other European-based kits can be a little risky.

Model Expo also has some good kits as well as this one is an Armed Sloop.

I am sure that others have opinions as well.

Donnie

What ever kit you plan to buy for next project, do a search on SoS, and see what others have said and done with these kits.

Many will have build logs of those who built them before and may offer advise about the kit and identify any problems and normally how to fix them.

Have fun and enjoy, this is a great hobby.

also from my side a warm welcome to the active membership of our forum.
as mentioned already - best is to start a building log showing your work, so we can give you additional hints and tipps or answer your questions.
In general it is not so easy to give an advise which model you should / could bild next.
If you are happy with Occre kits, maybe for the next one you should also choose an Occre kit.
Also Jotika / Caldercraft has very good quality kits.....

What part of the USA are you located in, we have many members scattered about the country.

Maybe one is near you if you need some mentoring.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

At your suggestions, I just started a build log to show off all my mistakes. :)

I also ordered my 2nd kit, Occre's Albatros (thanks for the recommendations). I had my eye on that one for a while. Hopefully the lessons I learn from this first build will pay off on the 2nd.

Back