Hello

Good day,

I am completely new to this hobby and I am hoping to seek and find support in this forum.
I have acquire the below starter kit to begin with but to be honest I am a bit overwhelmed:

I will probably post some of my concerns and questions in the coming day in a new thread but for starters I cannot figure out if this is a bluff or sharp bow design, apparently it makes a big difference in the hull planking methodology.

Also how long is this model going to take me if I put in 2/3 hours a day?

Regards,
Bringo

Last edited:
You are in the right place this FORUM HAS MEMBERS WORLD WIDE REPRESENTING ALL SECTIONS AND EXPERIENCE FROM NOVICES TO WORLD CLASS EXPERTS WHO WILL GLADLY ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS, THE LENGTH OF TIME DEPENDS UPON IF YOU ARE GOING TO RIG THE SHIP OR USE STUB MASTS, JUST MY OPION I THINK THE RIGGING IS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM I WOULD USE STUB MASTS AND FIND A EASIER ONE FOR RIGGING, SOMEONE WILL GIVE MORE ADVICE AS I DISLIKE RIGGING FOR MANY REASONS ROOM IS ONE OF THEM, SO ASK AWAY. Don

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board.
We will help and assist you as much as possible in your first try on a ship model.
First of all, in my opinion, you were choosing a good model for a first built. Good scale with 1:50, so not too small, limited rigging with two masts, double planked.
The best will be to start a building log for kit models in this area:

Here you can show your model, the parts and formulate your needs for help and information......
Important question: How good and detailed is the manual and the plans of this kit?

Bringo Welcome to SOS, if you create a build log then it is easier for other members to come up with tips and advice, good luck.

Welcome aboard SOS! We glad you found us! Certainly, you ask questions you may need an answers for...But a much easy way to start a build log as Uwe and Knut mentioned above. We will be more than glad to help you in you build. :)

Welcome aboard mate! That starter kit is a good one. It is designed to introduce the modeler to the hobby. You would best be served to complete the whole thing, rigging and all. Go slowly and be patient. Don't be too concerned with how it turns out. Finishing it is the whole objective. Start a build log and ask questions as you go. The process for building wood ship models is basically the same regardless of the complexity, so you can pretty much look at any build log for hints as to how you accomplish a certain portion of the build. Most everyone starts this way. Once you accomplish a step, you gain more confidence. Once you finish your first model, you have won 95% of the battle.
You can count on our members to help you out, me included.
Best of luck.

Vince P. Ship-1

Thanks for the warm welcome!
As a starter I’m first reading the guide pdf document that was provided with this starter kit and will probably also view the videos as well.
When I reached planking section the guide distinguishes and treats separately bluff vs sharp bow, hence my initial question. I’m still unsure which category my model falls in! I tried researching these terms in the internet but didn’t come out with any better explanation.

If the bow comes to a point like modern ships it is the sharp bow and much easier to plank. If the bow is rounded and wide like the old warships, it is the bluff kind. This type of bow requires sharp bending at the prow and is more difficult to plank.

Vince P. Ship-1

Hello Bringo, Welcome aboard the great SOS Form. You will find lots of advice and helpful hints here on the Form. Model Ship Building is a hobby and not a job. You will find it very enjoyable and pass many hours of enjoyment. It's not how long it will take you to build your ship, but in the end just how pleased you are with her. You will find as you build along, doing the best work to your ability want a great hobby this really is, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Back