Hello!

Greetings everyone.

I'm Wout. I'm 19 years old and I live in Belgium.
I'm totally new to the hobby. I did however build a few Revell kits before, but does that count? I normally make maquettes for school.
So I had some materials already for my first build.

I stumbled by accident on this wonderful forum. I immediately got in love with wooden model kits. After a lot of searching I settled for the Ulises from Occre. Also because @paulv1958 did such an amazing job with his build. That helped me a few times. Thank you for that.
Anyway, after a lot of reading of helpful posts I got ready to start. That was back in September. Now, almost 6 months later I have finished the ship and ready for my first post here. It wasn't easy, that's for sure, but it made me hungry for more.

I learned a lot!, bending wood, epoxy, laying a deck, staining and colouring of wood, not being happy with the plans --> scratch building, making flags, soldering and electricity. Ooof
Are there things I would have done differently? Yea of course. but you gotta start somewhere.
And it was not cheap. luckily my dad likes RC as well, so I got some sponsoring from there at least.​

But man did I enjoy building it. I hope I will be here for some time.
here are some photos of ''Polaris"

Cheers Wout/Woody :)

Don't know If I did this correctly or this should have been somewhere else., if so, I am sorry)

DSC00995.JPGDSC00998.JPGDSC00999.JPGDSC01000.JPGDSC01003.JPG

Hallo Wout,
a warm welcome here on board of our forum, and also welcome in our beautiful hobby.
I am very happy to see, that a youngster like you felt also in love ......
Your first model is looking very good - Congratulations for this built
And what is coming next? Hope to see your work in a building log .....

Hello Wout,

thanks for your introduction and the nice pictures.

What does your mind like most the building? The driving RC? Or is it the checking of the model against the real thing?

Living in an area surrounded from Dutch and French and (after getting wet) English shipbuilding you have only to go some yards to find a rich treasure of projects. So I hope you find a next project donating your heart to...

Nothing is more depressing than looking at old people being bored by TV and crosswording in wasting their time. So you will never find yourself in these trouble in half a century

Looking foreward to your next project and having fun.

Thank you for the warm welcome,

As goes for my next project, I do love the building the most, especially the small details. So I guess my next project will be a smaller scale wooden ship.

Welcome. Glad to see a young person to carry on the hobby. Great looking model.

Hello Wout. You have a natural talent and ability. I am very impressed with your ship. You did an excellent job.
congratulations.

I am late sending this reply to your post. But anyway, very nice build! I especially like the electric lighting, the brass handrails instead of wood, and the detail work on the derrick boom. I am just about finished with my Ulises tug (to renamed Treun, Scottish Gaelic for brave). I may incorporate some of your ideas.

Greetings everyone.

I'm Wout. I'm 19 years old and I live in Belgium.
I'm totally new to the hobby. I did however build a few Revell kits before, but does that count? I normally make maquettes for school.
So I had some materials already for my first build.

I stumbled by accident on this wonderful forum. I immediately got in love with wooden model kits. After a lot of searching I settled for the Ulises from Occre. Also because @paulv1958 did such an amazing job with his build. That helped me a few times. Thank you for that.
Anyway, after a lot of reading of helpful posts I got ready to start. That was back in September. Now, almost 6 months later I have finished the ship and ready for my first post here. It wasn't easy, that's for sure, but it made me hungry for more.

I learned a lot!, bending wood, epoxy, laying a deck, staining and colouring of wood, not being happy with the plans --> scratch building, making flags, soldering and electricity. Ooof
Are there things I would have done differently? Yea of course. but you gotta start somewhere.
And it was not cheap. luckily my dad likes RC as well, so I got some sponsoring from there at least.​

But man did I enjoy building it. I hope I will be here for some time.
here are some photos of ''Polaris"

Cheers Wout/Woody :)

Don't know If I did this correctly or this should have been somewhere else., if so, I am sorry)
Hallo @Woody53
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back