Help please in finding an easy to build kit for a 9 year old

Hi, Can anyone recommend an easy to build model boat kit suitable for a 9 year old to build as his 1st model. He wants to be able to sail it. He has sailed my 34" Fire boat and has now got the 'bug'! I'm his grandad and unfortunately I don't live nearby in order to help. Nothing too expensive please. He hasn't built any type of models before. Thanks in advance. Cheers Duncan

Nine year-olds are all different when it comes to focus and attention span! Since he wants to sail it, maybe an inexpensive ready or almost ready to run radio control boat would get him into the fun part and out at the pond quickly. There are some really inexpensive ones at AliExpress, and some much more expensive at cornwall model boats and hobbies.co.uk.

can you help with the build if the need arises?

Nothing too expensive please.

i don't know what too expensive is. i was looking at a new pickup truck and the price was $92,000.00 so a $120.00 RC kit seems reasonable.

here is a nice model of a tug and i see there is a motor supplied with the kit so i am not sure if it an RC controled model or not
but take a look

tugkit.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, Can anyone recommend an easy to build model boat kit suitable for a 9 year old to build as his 1st model. He wants to be able to sail it. He has sailed my 34" Fire boat and has now got the 'bug'! I'm his grandad and unfortunately I don't live nearby in order to help. Nothing too expensive please. He hasn't built any type of models before. Thanks in advance. Cheers Duncan
There's the Dory from ModelExpo. Is the first kit of the Shipwright Series, for modelers with no previous experience. You can buy just the kit or the combo, with all the tools and paint needed.

Recommend the classic Revell 1/535 scale USS Missouri kit, presently re-released by Atlantis as sistership USS Wisconsin. The mold for this kit has been around since the 1950s. The model is easy and fast to assemble, in an afternoon in one sitting. The kit is typically easy to find as are previous releases as USS Missouri and USS New Jersey.

A plastic kit like this can help build confidence and basic skills. It's got big cannons and the turrets rotate, features that appeal to 9 year-olds. It's got a flat bottom which makes it easy to play with after building, on a rug, table or in the bath. It's a great introductory kit.

Wisconsin.jpg

Hi,
My niece started with a minimamoli kit when she was 8yo, and she loved it. It is around 50 or 60 $...

At the very, very easy and low cost of the scale, my 7 or 8 year old seemed to quite enjoy the revell Viking boat. It’s one that you could easily do in an afternoon, or do with more care over a few days. On the other hand, I still have hugely fond memories of building the 1/120 airfix endeavour about 50 yrs ago, when I was just a little older than your grandson. The kit is still readily available and has enough parts to get you engrossed. (It’s one I’d like to build again one day - sadly it got binned by my mum once it became apparent it had become home to a colony of spiders!)

Like some of the replies, I also recommend plastic kits which often are not too expensive and easy to put together and the two of you can cooperatively assemble it as a shared project without the need to get many tools.
Another good project is a LEGO ship model of which there are several. A pirate ship sold for around $100 would be a good prospect and would make a great X-mas gift. Also can be broken down afterwards and reassembled for further practice. No tools, glue, or paints needed. A more general-purpose set can also be gotten to use for general play and stimulate creativity.
I am including a Resource Guide I wrote for our modeling club that includes an essay on beginning ship modeling-particularly plastic ship modeling. The rest of the guide has resources specific to the San Francisco Bay area so you can peruse those for your amusement. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Ken Lum

Attachments

• Resource Guide-compressed copy 2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Another suggestion is to join a local club to see what others are doing. While ship model clubs are actually not that common, a better choice would be the more commonly available chapters of the International Plastic Modelers Society (IPMS) and look for a local branch. Aside from ships, also lots of airplanes, armor, cars, etc. Also much more likely to find other kids of similar age. Although ostensibly about plastic models, the branches welcome models made from anything. Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Plastic_Modellers'_Society

For listings in different countries also.

Ken Lum

Thanks everyone for your input. I will research them. He wants to be able to sail it as an r/c model.

Like some of the replies, I also recommend plastic kits which often are not too expensive and easy to put together and the two of you can cooperatively assemble it as a shared project without the need to get many tools.
Another good project is a LEGO ship model of which there are several. A pirate ship sold for around $100 would be a good prospect and would make a great X-mas gift. Also can be broken down afterwards and reassembled for further practice. No tools, glue, or paints needed. A more general-purpose set can also be gotten to use for general play and stimulate creativity.
I am including a Resource Guide I wrote for our modeling club that includes an essay on beginning ship modeling-particularly plastic ship modeling. The rest of the guide has resources specific to the San Francisco Bay area so you can peruse those for your amusement. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Ken Lum
Thank you, Ken, I was looking into your resource guide and it looks great but... incomplete! I have not found any words pointing to the ShipOfSale resource. ;)

I believe that plastic would be the way to go for a very beginner. However, for a simple laser cut kit capable of RC I would definitely agree with Dave Stevens on the little tug kit. Even though not complete with all RC equipment it is not that hard to come up with a two channel RC package. A transmitter, a receiver an ESC for speed and direction and a servo for rudder control. I've been building RC ships for over 50 years, and there is nothing more satisfying than
operating your creation on the local pond.

Take a look at Lauckstreetshipyard.com. Bob Hunt has developed several practicums for building ship models with detailed discussion and photos. He has several that are classified as beginner level. The practicum might help a beginner work through the issues of wooden model ship building…

Nine year-olds are all different when it comes to focus and attention span! Since he wants to sail it, maybe an inexpensive ready or almost ready to run radio control boat would get him into the fun part and out at the pond quickly. There are some really inexpensive ones at AliExpress, and some much more expensive at cornwall model boats and hobbies.co.uk.
@penbleworm that’s a great idea. Another thought is if he really wants to build his first model, doing a video conference/conversation is a good remote way to “be there” for support. Set him up for an easy route to fun and success.

Good idea to perhaps use Zoom to help him remotely with the build. Thanks.
Has anyone built the Mantua Police Launch? It is suppose to be an easy to build display model but it that it can be converted to R/C. I'm wondering how easy that would be as I can't see any build blogs for this model.
Thanks in anticipation.

can you help with the build if the need arises?

Nothing too expensive please.

i don't know what too expensive is. i was looking at a new pickup truck and the price was $92,000.00 so a $120.00 RC kit seems reasonable.

here is a nice model of a tug and i see there is a motor supplied with the kit so i am not sure if it an RC controled model or not
but take a look

View attachment 326439

The tug looks a nice kit but just a bit concerned about all the curves for a first kit! Also been 'stung' in the past by buying something direct from China. It wasn't as per description and we sent it back at great expense and they never credited us! They approved the return and they said they would credit us and they didn't. They returned it back to us 6 months later which meant it was outside the timescale for PayPal to reimburse us. I said I would never buy anything direct from China again!

Good idea to perhaps use Zoom to help him remotely with the build. Thanks.
Has anyone built the Mantua Police Launch? It is suppose to be an easy to build display model but it that it can be converted to R/C. I'm wondering how easy that would be as I can't see any build blogs for this model.
Thanks in anticipation.
The police boat kit does look like a fairly simple build for a young beginner. Not sure about the conversion to RC without a little help nearby at the bench. From the photo it appears to me that the shaft runs parallel to the keel line. This would mean removing a large section of the top of the keel piece, due to its' elevation to fit the stuffing box and motor. It certainly could be done with a few design changes.

I think the model should be at least 36" long to perform well on a pond. I recommend scratch building an ironclad like the CSS Virginia. The Monitor hasn't sufficient freeboard. You can build a box out of thin wood, put a bow and stern on it, put a simple propulsion and r/c rudder controls in it, waterproof it, and let the boy come up with the superstructure scheme. Remember not to overload it. My first model was unstable because the battery was too heavy. It rolled over and sank. I dove on it and fished it out, but it never worked after that.

The tug looks a nice kit but just a bit concerned about all the curves for a first kit! Also been 'stung' in the past by buying something direct from China. It wasn't as per description and we sent it back at great expense and they never credited us! They approved the return and they said they would credit us and they didn't. They returned it back to us 6 months later which meant it was outside the timescale for PayPal to reimburse us. I said I would never buy anything direct from China again!

i can understand your hesitation buying from China or outside the US. it has happened to me when returning an item cost more than the item itself. However, a number of members here bought kits from ZHL and so far had no problems. ZHL seems to be a reputable and honest dealer. ZHL does handle high quality kits.
There are questionable sellers who will sell a kit with missing parts, poor quality, or generally "not as advertised" Dealers and kits featured here are tried and true.

Back