Help please in finding an easy to build kit for a 9 year old

I think because he wants to get it on the water and control it with r/c the best start would be a ready to run craft and perhaps he could add details and paint to make it more realistic to his liking. From there he could expand his fleet to a higher level of kits. My thoughts are more getting him actively out there. Remember at the age of ten that six months is 1/20th of his entire life so keep that in mind.

I think because he wants to get it on the water and control it with r/c the best start would be a ready to run craft and perhaps he could add details and paint to make it more realistic to his liking. From there he could expand his fleet to a higher level of kits. My thoughts are more getting him actively out there. Remember at the age of ten that six months is 1/20th of his entire life so keep that in mind.
That sounds like a 9-year-old all right. He's a bit young to start building models on his own, even with help from Dad. Best stay with store bought RC boats at this age until he's older. Boys that young generally do not have the skill or patience for models such as we adults build here. If he's set on sail as means of propulsion and not motor like most boys who crave speed and excitement of race boats, something like this may get him into RC sailing now, and perhaps he may decide to start building models at age 12 or 13.

RC Sailboat on Amazon

Like some of the replies, I also recommend plastic kits which often are not too expensive and easy to put together and the two of you can cooperatively assemble it as a shared project without the need to get many tools.
Another good project is a LEGO ship model of which there are several. A pirate ship sold for around $100 would be a good prospect and would make a great X-mas gift. Also can be broken down afterwards and reassembled for further practice. No tools, glue, or paints needed. A more general-purpose set can also be gotten to use for general play and stimulate creativity.
I am including a Resource Guide I wrote for our modeling club that includes an essay on beginning ship modeling-particularly plastic ship modeling. The rest of the guide has resources specific to the San Francisco Bay area so you can peruse those for your amusement. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Ken Lum
Hallo @KenLum
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi, Can anyone recommend an easy to build model boat kit suitable for a 9 year old to build as his 1st model. He wants to be able to sail it. He has sailed my 34" Fire boat and has now got the 'bug'! I'm his grandad and unfortunately I don't live nearby in order to help. Nothing too expensive please. He hasn't built any type of models before. Thanks in advance. Cheers Duncan
Hallo @DPTrainer
Birthday-Cake
How was or is the project "build model boat kit suitable for a 9 year old" going?

Hallo @DPTrainer
Birthday-Cake
How was or is the project "build model boat kit suitable for a 9 year old" going?
Thank you for my birthday wishes! Unfortunately my grandson went off the idea of building a model model. Instead he would now rather just sail mine when he comes to visit us in the school holidays! I'm currently working on building a Mantua Bruma but I have set myself a challenge of also making it a sailing boat rather than just a motor sailor. Spending a lot of time designing and planning the conversion. I'll be updating my build blog of this boat in due course.

Back