Help the new guy plank

Hello all and thanks in advance for your help.
I am building my first wood ship. I have built a few rc airplanes and wanted something different.
I've ordered a book on model ships but not here yet.
Question; when sanding or filing formers how do I not mess up the keel?

Welcome Rcflyer, I've always made my own sanding boards to do the job you are referring to. If you glue a piece of sandpaper approximately one to one and a quarter wide to a paint stir stick, or whatever. Do not let the sandpaper over lap the edges of your stick. By doing this all your formers can be sanded to the lay of the planking, and if the sander touches your keel there will be no harm done as there is no abrasive on the edges. Hope this helps.
Jim

Thanks Jim, that makes sense...I was using round stick and really marked up the keel....now if I could only find good planking clamps.

Hello all and thanks in advance for your help.
I am building my first wood ship. I have built a few rc airplanes and wanted something different.
I've ordered a book on model ships but not here yet.
Question; when sanding or filing formers how do I not mess up the keel?
First of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum. Good that you have found us.
In this case you described, I am taking only a small piece of sandpaper in the fingers. It is my personal experience, that in the fingers you have the best feeling and I can sand very close to the keel without damages.
May I ask which ship you are building? Double or single planking?
To give more clear assistance and hints, it is often helpful to show us a photo of the situation.......or even start a building log

Turkmodel
Bosphorus cutter 1/50
Plank on frame
Watched a few videos on building....now using hot iron to bend planks...
I was soaking plank and clamping in place...steaming is quicker.
This model has no slot to put front of plank in and cutting planks to get nice curve at how a problem....any tips?
IMG_20201006_192216.jpg
IMG_20201006_192135.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Rcflyer! We suggest you open a build log (follow the link below). This is a very good way to interact with our members and ask for any help if required. To answer your question, many techniques can be used, and generally speaking, most of the kits coming without the marks for planking. Taper the planks toward the bow and stern- one of them!

Thanks Jim, that makes sense...I was using round stick and really marked up the keel....now if I could only find good planking clamps.
In my experience the best “planking clamp“ is CA gel glue. Place a small drop of CA gel on the bulkhead point and hold the plank in place for 10 - 15 seconds. Otherwise there are a bunch of less than satisfactory options including pins, special clamps, mini nails, push pins, etc. For me none really stand out as best other than the direct CA gel glue.

I am just getting started in model building, I am in Canada where can I get a good starter tool kit?

I am just getting started in model building, I am in Canada where can I get a good starter tool kit?
Hello Lev,
Hmm....mmm... Do you really want to spend money on the tool kit? What is the tool kit?? What tools this kit will\should included? Will, I ever use all of those tools included in the kit? Are those tools (in the kit) durable? How much such a kit may cost? Well... I counted 6 questions you should ask yourself before committing to purchasing the tool kit.
Often time those kits including the tools you may never use, or designated for other types of jobs (like a screwdriver for example). Unless you are building RC models, you will rarely need a screwdriver. Many of us, prefer to buy the tools we need for a given job. Honestly, depends on the kit you may assemble you may just need a hobby knife with spare blades, some files, sandpaper blocks, and various clamps. BTW, we have prepared a nice section called 'Begining Corner', please take a look. You may found answers to many (if not all) of your questions. Hope this will help...if not, just ask, it is that simple :) :cool:

My thought would be to purchase a variety of helpful tools. Micromark.com has them as well as ModelExpo. Other web sites that deal with historic wooden ship models have a variety of good tools. The question is what do you need to get started? Start with XActo hobby blades and a handle or two (the no. 11 blade is most useful), a set of small files, a bunch of clamps (they come packaged by the dozen), sand paper or sanding sticks, several tweezers, hobby pins, micro drill bits and a handle. As you progress you will find other tools that are helpful such as a Dremel with a variety of sanding and drilling bits. So check out the Beginners Corner and browse through various web sites. This should get you started...

Last edited:
Lev...
check out Modelers Central web site.
they have started kits with tools needed

Im starting build thread for wood model ship
Bosphorus Cutter.....BOGAZICI KOTRASI

Can I close this thread?

Im starting build thread for wood model ship
Bosphorus Cutter.....BOGAZICI KOTRASI

Can I close this thread?
we are usually not "closing" officially a topic - if nobody is posting any more, it will move backwards in the row
Good to hear that you will start a building log ......

Hello Lev,
Hmm....mmm... Do you really want to spend money on the tool kit? What is the tool kit?? What tools this kit will\should included? Will, I ever use all of those tools included in the kit? Are those tools (in the kit) durable? How much such a kit may cost? Well... I counted 6 questions you should ask yourself before committing to purchasing the tool kit.
Often time those kits including the tools you may never use, or designated for other types of jobs (like a screwdriver for example). Unless you are building RC models, you will rarely need a screwdriver. Many of us, prefer to buy the tools we need for a given job. Honestly, depends on the kit you may assemble you may just need a hobby knife with spare blades, some files, sandpaper blocks, and various clamps. BTW, we have prepared a nice section called 'Begining Corner', please take a look. You may found answers to many (if not all) of your questions. Hope this will help...if not, just ask, it is that simple :) :cool:

I took your advice, and when I figured what tools I really needed I found I had most of them

Back