Help!! What to build next the 1/64 Caldercraft Agamemnon or 1/48 Bonhomme Richard?

I'm getting pretty close to finishing the Phoenix (see pic) - I just don't have anything else to do as we are hunkered down here. I'm 70 and recently had heart surgery (my doc said don't get sick for a while) so I'm having a blast building all day!
I just sold my AL Surprise (I just stoped feeling the love) and I'm wondering what to build next - I like the Caldercraft Agamemnon and also the Bonhomme Richard sold by ZHL models in China. I would love your input - the good bad and the ugly, warts and all - gut feelings and prejudices.

Things I understand with this decision:
1 - Agamemnon is about 1/2 the cost
2 - 1/48 scale is easier on my eyes at 70.
3 - Ordering out of China right now is iffy.
4 - both are massive in size - I do have a place to display in a case.

Things I'm wondering about:
1 - which has the best materials
2 - pitfalls with either during build
3 - building pleasure - does one stand out above the other
4 build time

Feel free to emphasize any of the above and also offer alternatives to build._FPB7298PS.jpg

Built the Agamemnon last year.Magnificent but large. Because I had built the Diane the year before (similar but smaller) I decided to stop at shortened masts without rigging. I was also impatient to move on to other project. I would strongly recommend it. Good materials and plans and paints. Took me about a year at ave. 15 hrs a week

Any CC kits is great. The Bonhomme looks great.
With the current state of the world and the reactions from the US & EU, i would recommend at this stage going with something local if its really needed.
It not China that will be the issue, it will be local services that will be disruptive for a few months.

The Aggie is a BIG & complex build.

CC kits have the best plans & instructions of all the kits I have built so far . The wood is good, but rough finished sometimes on strips ( but they give you lots of spares), but its 1:64 not 1:48 ( but still huge !!) and I am amazed that Stuglo could finish in a year!, but I am 62 and still working.

Its' all cnc'd so expect no laser burns but mega amounts of sawdust in the box !

As to the Bonhomme full kit, you would have to ask the SOS member who built the whole shp. You will also need to check the language or you will be building of plans & images only. Ability to get replacement parts would also dependent on who you got it from ( ZHL closed at present).

If the worlds current state was not is such a mess i would say go with your heart.

As its not I IMHO i'd say

if Aggie you like best, then go local supplier
if Bon you like best, what a while till things settle back down ( 3-6 months).

Both these kits will tax and stretch your patience due to complexity, how ever compared to AL kits the CC kits will be a dream to work with.
I cannot comment on the Bonhomme kit.

paulv1958,
Thank you for your well thought out comments, much appreciated. The Admiral has counseled (not quite the right verb - lol) to wait a while as there is so much going on re the virus. Being of a lower rank, I must carefully consider (obey) her comments (orders). I'm actually in no hurry to purchase (my pitiful try to retain some honor).

In truth I can do what I want - I want to follow her wisdom.
In the meantime stay at least 2 meters away from me and stay healthy!!

Last edited:
Truthfully - I have full clearance to purchase what I want. My sweet wife loves my hobby and loves wood ship models!!! Given the world situation wrt to the virus I will probably wait a little and see how things go.

Kurt,
I've already built the Victory - see the above pic. I agree it's a beautiful ship and even though mine was built from a plastic kit I can't see building another one in wood. Having said that - the Caldercraft kit is wonderful!!! I want to get this choice right as I will have to live with it for the next 1 to 2 years.

Last edited:
DARIVS,
I've already built the Victory - see the above pic. I agree it's a beautiful ship and even though mine was built from a plastic kit I can't see building another one in wood. Having said that - the Caldercraft kit is wonderful!!! I want to get this choice right as I will have to live with it for the next 1 to 2 years.
It's hard to go up from there!

Hey Paul, Maybe you have an interest in those ship models selling by our member?

I have built several kits from Caldercraft and have also the Agamemnon kit at home, so I know, that their quality, especially in manuals and drawings are very good.
Also the quality of material for kits are good.......

But, building just in moment the Bonhomme Cross section

and looking at the amazing work of @OlegM

I would state, that the difference in price is worth, due to the fact, that the quality of timber etc. is once more much better.
Choose the best quality of timber of the Bonhomme Richard and you will have months or even years fun with the model.
And the scale is 1:48 which makes it easier to add some more details....... my two cents

But at the end, independent of your final decision - It is more like a decision between a Rolls Royce and a Bentley, or Ferrari and Maserati -> you will enjoy both

Thanks Uwe,
So, which one has the better quality of timber? From what I've read it would be the Bonhomme Richard. Does anyone disagree, or have thoughts on this?

Thanks Uwe,
So, which one has the better quality of timber? From what I've read it would be the Bonhomme Richard. Does anyone disagree, or have thoughts on this?
The Bonhomme timber quality is two steps better - I can speak definitely about the section model (POF) and I was choosing here the pear version - and here the timber quality is really 1.st class - but not only the quality of cutting and the dimension accuracy of the wooden strips etc.

Bon Homme Richard hands down . President of Fed Ex on TV said that shipments out of China close to 90 % back

Back