Help with A.L. Swift build

Wondering on deck base installation. Since the deck curves in 2 directions, should I glue in the longitudinal first, then the camber or both at the same time? Should the deck planking be done prior to that?
any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steviedean

I would install the plywood first - with some additional nailing it should be possible, that you can fix the plywood deck with the bend in both directions.
prepare the nailing before you really fix the deck, with pre drilling etc.
First I would fix the nails along the center axis completely and than to the sides.
The nails will be covered afterwards with the strip planking.

swift deck.jpg

I found this photo in the web, which is illustrating the nailing very well.
Please be aware, that the planking pattern is not so good, a 2-shift pattern was not used usually on real ships

Wondering on deck base installation. Since the deck curves in 2 directions, should I glue in the longitudinal first, then the camber or both at the same time? Should the deck planking be done prior to that?
any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steviedean
Hi from an OLD timer (50 Years about building. I build Swift in 1981/82 at a School in Madrid, where 5 student was eager to learn. I have for a time seen the new KIT of Swift, which is quite different. The kit is much better today. AS far remember, there should be a compñete Build of Swit under chapter "KIT BUILDERS" if not I have it.
Anyway coming back to your question. the ABSOLUTELY here the best way is STEAM. Glue the two half together on the long side. Take a big POT in the Kitchen. add a lot of water and put it up to maximum temperature (STEAM) 30 to 60 min. (careful with the Steam) when you are finished. Now you can BEND in both directions. The hot method with Electrical devices is no good here. The DRY bending can be used here too, but only rn one direction at a time. pic 2,3,4 are the dry blending. a simple set up of a tin (Beans or tin from the supermarket. A few candlelight -general use in Chinese Rest.- the last was a set up a made because I had planks to bed 1,5 meter long. I have the build log, but not sure if the are any Authors right.

Attachments

• 150-BENDING WOODS---TRACAS Y VAPOR.jpg
    150-BENDING WOODS---TRACAS Y VAPOR.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 160- TOOLS BENDING 002.jpg
    160- TOOLS BENDING 002.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 162--TOOLS BENDING 003.jpg
    162--TOOLS BENDING 003.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 163--plank bending axel 2.jpg
    163--plank bending axel 2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 151--TOOLS- BENDING  007.jpg
    151--TOOLS- BENDING 007.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 17
  • swift.jpg
    swift.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 28
  • b-swift 3.jpg
    b-swift 3.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 18
any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steviedean
Hi from an OLD timer (50 Years about building. I build Swift in 1981/82 at a School in Madrid, where 5 student was eager to learn. I have for a time seen the new KIT of Swift, which is quite different. The kit is much better today. AS far remember, there should be a compñete Build of Swit under chapter "KIT BUILDERS" if not I have it.
Anyway coming back to your question. the ABSOLUTELY here the best way is STEAM. Glue the two half together on the long side. Take a big POT in the Kitchen. add a lot of water and put it up to maximum temperature (STEAM) 30 to 60 min. (careful with the Steam) when you are finished. Now you can BEND in both directions. The hot method with Electrical devices is no good here. The DRY bending can be used here too, but only rn one direction at a time. pic 2,3,4 are the dry blending. a simple set up of a tin (Beans or tin from the supermarket. A few candlelight -general use in Chinese Rest.- the last was a set up a made because I had planks to bed 1,5 meter long. I have the build log, but not sure if they are any Authors right.

Apparently the images disappeared in my message to you, but here there are

Attachments

• 71586077_411172829802087_4440940650136862720_n.jpg
    71586077_411172829802087_4440940650136862720_n.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 7
  • swift.jpg
    swift.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 150-BENDING WOODS---TRACAS Y VAPOR.jpg
    150-BENDING WOODS---TRACAS Y VAPOR.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 153----steam chamberScan_00- steaM CHAMBER01.jpg
    153----steam chamberScan_00- steaM CHAMBER01.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 160- TOOLS BENDING 002.jpg
    160- TOOLS BENDING 002.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 162--TOOLS BENDING 003.jpg
    162--TOOLS BENDING 003.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 3
Thank you for the tips Don! I was thinking about building a nice steam box. My deck is 1/16” ply so it shouldn’t take too much heat to flex it. Also, that answers when to install the deck planking. My Swift kit is about 20 years old-still has the under deck areas.
Thanks!
Steviedean

I have just found some of my old build- Artesania Latina- Spain. The new swift is a Mamoly build. What different of the same Model. With the Kit so old, be very careful as it breaks easy. A little humidity may help, and later on some special Wood oils. In your case I recommend Steam.

Attachments

• b-swif.jpg
    b-swif.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 7
  • b-swift 5.jpg
    b-swift 5.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 6
  • b-swift 184.jpg
    b-swift 184.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 6
  • NEW SWIFT -MAMOLI (5).jpg
    NEW SWIFT -MAMOLI (5).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 10
  • NEW SWIFT -MAMOLI (1).jpg
    NEW SWIFT -MAMOLI (1).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 8
  • NEW SWIFT -MAMOLI (3).jpg
    NEW SWIFT -MAMOLI (3).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 9
My god,
Everyone is so helpful!!!!!!
If I fail at ship modeling (I won’t) it certainly isn’t because of you fine gents!
I wish I could buy all of you a beer!!
Thanks so much,
Steviedean

Back