Help with CANNONS ?.

I want to buy guns for my Blandford and Rattlesnake.
The problem is that I am not so good with American units of measurement. I know Lumberyard has guns for Blandford, but not Rattlesnake.
What I need is the name-number-item-number-print skreen, or whatever, so I can find the right type of cannon for my models.
I attach a couple of pictures with measurements I have made, in mm and in.
RATTLESNAKE
Rattlesnake-Blamdford (1).jpg
BLANDFORD
Rattlesnake-Blamdford (2).jpg
I would be delighted if any of you could spend some time helping me.
Greetings

Hello Knut, the HIS model has a nice selection, many different sizes of RB Model brass barrels. I received an order from them, they CNC machine-made, really nice. Take a look, they are 29mm in length. With some small modifications (an English logo and a touch hole (or vent) in which the fuse or other ignition device is inserted) it could be really nice.

IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1144.jpeg

Hi Knut
You will struggle with the 78mm long cannons.RB model in Poland make some great cannons but only go up to 55mm from memory.Someone like Alexey Banarov (Zolly's link) may be the only option.

I will pretend I didn't see the 1/100 cannons on Alexey's site for the Twelve ApostlesROTFROTFROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Knut
You will struggle with the 78mm long cannons.RB model in Poland make some great cannons but only go up to 55mm from memory.Someone like Alexey Banarov (Zolly's link) may be the only option.

I will pretend I didn't see the 1/100 cannons on Alexey's site for the Twelve ApostlesROTFROTFROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel
Sure,we do not tell it to anyone Lol

but jokes aside, these are one of the best (if not the best) cannon barrels I've ever seen commercially available, but you pay a price for this. if you get them as the kit, would you expect a discount? :cool:

but jokes aside, these are one of the best (if not the best) cannon barrels I've ever seen commercially available, but you pay a price for this. if you get them as the kit, would you expect a discount? :cool:

Possibly Jim.Knut we have to email Alexey.The only issue is that Alexey doesn't have a foundry.He produces the wax patterns and a third party does the casting.He then fettles the castings before dispatch.
I do agree,these are the Rolls Royce of cannons.They need to be as they are used on commission built models that can cost up to $250,000

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks to you all, for your quick response, Alexey`s, guns are a great choice for Rattlesnake, very nice looking.
But, one thing I think is a bit strange, that Lumberyard is not mentioned here, I know there are several in (Blandford group building),
Don Farr, Big Mike who bought his guns there, they also built in scale, 1-32.
The Lumberyard cannons also have a pretty nice look, if their website had shown the dimensions in mm,
I would have bought the cannons there.
This is not a matter of being sponsored, I will buy-
Hope you understand what I mean.
Thanks again for your attention.
Greetings Knut-

Thanks to you all, for your quick response, Alexey`s, guns are a great choice for Rattlesnake, very nice looking.
But, one thing I think is a bit strange, that Lumberyard is not mentioned here, I know there are several in (Blandford group building),
Don Farr, Big Mike who bought his guns there, they also built in scale, 1-32.
The Lumberyard cannons also have a pretty nice look, if their website had shown the dimensions in mm,
I would have bought the cannons there.
This is not a matter of being sponsored, I will buy-
Hope you understand what I mean.
Thanks again for your attention.
Greetings Knut-

Knut the Lumberyard's biggest cannon isn't big enough.Short of buying a lathe and making your own,Alexey is the only manufacturer I can think of,Dimitry Shevelev also supplies cannons but his are more expensive than Alexey's and still require finishing.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel, it was very strange, in their Blandford building logs they mention Lumberyard as the supplier.
Maybe it's my drawings that are wrong, again, very frustrating, chance Don Farr can answer this.
Yes, I have a lathe, but I've never used it, if I can't find guns of this size then I have to
probably find it to make a try.
Regards-

I’ll weigh in on this! The Lumberyard’s cannons are indeed large enough to serve as Blandford’s 6 pounders. I picked up a pair for my build. The problem with them was that if you used Mike’s plans for the carriages, the Lumberyard cannons didn’t fit because the breech was too wide and the trunnions too large in diameter. I ended up using cannons fabricated from wood. Mike Shanks did a superb job for me! They were done with CNC technology. See my build log for details.

the lumberyard does have the guns and carriages for the Blandford and Rattlesnake in scale

as dave pointed out the cannons and carriages are a matched set so the lumberyard Blandford guns match the lumberyards carriages. The guns do not match Mikes drawings.

Thanks Dave, do you think if I turn my own guns, I can then build the carriages from the same drawing.
I understand that, the guns you got from Lunberyard did not fit with the drawings of the carriages for Blandford.
If that's right, then I think I make everything myself, guns and carriages according to the drawings, another challenge.
I thought I would get away cheaply with buying the guns.
The guns on Don and Mike's models look good.
What do you think I should do?
Thank you for your information,

Thanks to you both,
Dave Stevens, Rattlesnake Cannons, is for sale at other dealerships, I had hoped I could buy everything from Lumberyard.
When it comes to Blandford, I want to make them myself, I'm just not very good with lathe, but this has to be learned once and for all.
Thanks for your explanations, this has uncovered the question I asked at the beginning of this thread.
Highly Appreciated, Greetings Knut-

Hello mate! It definitely will not hurt to try out your own. What will you lose? Some timber, not a big deal. But...if it turns out good, you will save some crones and will be super proud of yourself.
possible you may ask Mike @mrshanks (if he has some time, he can commission you same guns as for the Dave's Blanford build)

does any member know where i can buy cannon kits with the blocks included for the wheels? i would like complete carriages kits for the san felippe model. thanks terry

Just wanted to say a bit about cannons. I purchased mine from Alexey Baranov after a lot of thought. My wife says the money could have been better used to buy a new car (just kidding Alexey). I figured at my age this would probably be my last model so “let her rip”. Without going on and on I must say that they are in a class by themselves. The detail is fantastic. I made my wife sign a contract that says if something bad happens to the actual model after I’m gone that she will save the cannons at all costs. They will be treated like a family treasure. Or so I hope. That’s all from me on this subject.

Back