Help with rigging anchor on 18th century yacht

I’ve rigged my anchor approximately aligned. 9CD7508F-E416-4F4A-9B13-C0E8B30E8491.jpeg Don’t have any plans. Can someone see if there is anything amiss? Not sure how the block is attached to the ship. Should it just be hooked on so it can be released when lowering and raising the anchor?

Greetings, The photo above showed an unusually seen 'Anchor Tackle'. There shouldn't be a rope attached to a tackle block (unless the rope in the image is obstructed from the view). From the outer end of the cat-head hung the catblock, usually having the same number of shaves as the cathead, and was suspended from it by the cat rope, which was lead through alternated shaves on the block and head, and back to the forecastle deck.

To answer your question, the rope in your 'red' circle should never be released. In the usual configuration, the cat tackle is attached to a cathead, and a Cathhead stopper goes through the cathead tightened in a 'Stopper knot'.

1672192119431.png

IMG_2604.jpeg

IMG_2605.jpeg

The block then just has a hook attached, and rigging running through it, and one end attached to a ring on the side of the cathead.

Thanks Jimsky. Still trying to work it out. What does the cathead stopper do?
The cat stopper also fastens the anchor on. The cat stopper has not been used on all ships. The purpose of the cathead is to provide both a heavy enough beam to support the massive weight of the anchor and to hold the metal anchor away from the wooden side of the ship to prevent damage when the anchor is being raised from the water.

1920px-Le_galion_Gale%C3%B3n_Andaluc%C3%ADa_%2874%29.JPG

Cant see how the cat stopper runs around the cathead? I’ve marked it in red. Still confused as to how the cat stopper works.
9DBB5340-93E7-4620-B610-91B0C13A1E7E.jpeg

Do I need to include a cat stopper?
It is not necessary, not on all catheads you can see the use of stoppers. If the cathead has a special shave (on the side) for the cat stopper, then it is an indication that the cat stopper was used. Contrary, if you want to show the cat stopper, then you will need to make a stopper shave (see image few posts above)

Cant see how the cat stopper runs around the cathead? I’ve marked it in red. Still confused as to how the cat stopper works.
View attachment 347911
1. The first question: the cat stopper end goes thru the anchor ring and tight to the timberhead.
2. The second question: It is the top of the cathead. This is the cathead from about 1800, showing the mechanism to secure\release the anchor were number 1. Release pin, 2. Release catch, 3. Preventer pin, and 4. Release lanyard

@clogger I just checked the plans of Le Rochefort and it does show the grove for the cathead stopper, however, it doesn't show the cathead stopper shave on the side of the cathead. This is because it is installed above the cathead. (see images from plans). Also, it does have a ring on the side for cat tackle, and a hole on top of the cathead for the stopper.

IMG_2606.jpeg
IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg

Hope this will help.

That’s great. Makes sense now! Need to get back and modify my anchor rig.
thanks Jimsky, appreciate the time and effort you gave me.

Does this look better?
Not sure how to finish off the cat stopper cable around the bitt. Should it be coiled into a loop onto the deck? Not sure how long the cat stopper is meant to be?
View attachment 348420View attachment 348421
The length of line should be long enough to allow the stopper to lower the anchor until the cathead tackle takes the weight of it. If you are depicting the anchor as fully secured into its storage place, the excess line can be formed into a hank or coil and hung by a loop over the bit, similar to how you hang hanks of line on a belaying pin. If you want the line to look as if crew are activity working the anchor, either preparing to lower it or weigh it, you can just leave the extra line coiled on the deck.

Back