• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Hemingway's Pilar kit

You might think about a Model Shipways paint color,
Working on the platform, rails and console, I decided on flat black for the rails. Next up is the finishing of the console…

View attachment 640807

View attachment 640808

View attachment 640809
this color might be more appropriate rather than a total flat black, Model Shipways makes a color that might be closer to what you want.

Iron cannon black.

 
Yep, I like the way the flat black rails look! I was thinking whatever you decided, I'd do something different when I got to mine in order to contrast and compare, but I really do like the way the rails appear. Nice job.

I'm sure you mentioned this previously when staining the cabin and beams, but what type of stain are you using on the platform? Same stain all around?

Continued great work, sir!
 
I like it. Do you build decks at homes too? Really nice job!
Herb , ha, yes I have built several decks in life….. and that cannon black looks like a good color.

Yep, I like the way the flat black rails look! I was thinking whatever you decided, I'd do something different when I got to mine in order to contrast and compare, but I really do like the way the rails appear. Nice job.

I'm sure you mentioned this previously when staining the cabin and beams, but what type of stain are you using on the platform? Same stain all around?

Continued great work, sir!
Greg, I’m using the minwax rifle stock stain on every thing. I’m not happy with that piece of wood they used for the laser cut. It didn’t take the stain evenly and there aren’t any real grain lines. I might redo the strips. :)
 
Greg, I’m using the minwax rifle stock stain on every thing. I’m not happy with that piece of wood they used for the laser cut. It didn’t take the stain evenly and there aren’t any real grain lines. I might redo the strips. :)
Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, I would agree. Depending on how you plan to display your Pilar, the platform will be one of the most visible parts of the boat. Use nice wood for it, if you can.
 
Back
Top