Hi fellow modellers

I am 85 years young and been modelling since my retirement 30 years ago. My interest was in RC boating but recently I am trying my hand at Yachts which I find very interesting. Working on the Bluenose 2
1/75 scale. I have arthritis in my hands and the rigging is giving me headaches. Anyone can give me advice to make the rigging easier I would appreciate some help.

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I have no experience (until now) with arthritis, but I can imagine, that works like the mention rigging can be very problematic.
I guess, that some other members here have similar problems and can describe, how they solve such kind of work......
Thumbsup

Welcome aboard. I also have some arthritis in my hands. I have found that long tweezers and hemostats of various lengths help a great deal when rigging. A pair of "extra hands" also come in handy. These can be something as simple as a couple of alligator clips held in small vices. Hope this info helps.

Hi Ernest, Id suggest asking your Dr. for a perscription of Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel. That in addition to a daily pain pill helps my knees enough I can work on cars and do floors and such. It may help with your pain too and make rigging much easier. Another idea would be doing admiralty type models where its just the hull and a nub for masts, no rigging involved really.

I also use the Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel. I also have other pain medication that I can take 1000 mg of Tylenol works well too.
I highly suggest you see a doc as they can prescribe for u meds to help. It will help you manage your hands better.

You can simplify the rigging on your model by just adding primary lines. The primary standing rigging are the easiest perhaps. Then just add some of the key running rigging lines. Fewer lines will not detract from the model and will be easier for you to work. Next simplify how lines are attached or belayed to various points. Use simple overhand double knots to attach lines...don't try to use wrapped loops. Simplify...in the end it will look fine! If you post photos of your work we can comment on specific solutions for you...

I am 85 years young and been modelling since my retirement 30 years ago. My interest was in RC boating but recently I am trying my hand at Yachts which I find very interesting. Working on the Bluenose 2
1/75 scale. I have arthritis in my hands and the rigging is giving me headaches. Anyone can give me advice to make the rigging easier I would appreciate some help.
Hallo @Ernest ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @Ernest
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back