Hi From Australia

Hallo Richie,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Maybe you show us your build in this topic
or you could also start a building log of your project of the Revenge ...... so we could comment and give hints and advise, or answer your questions if necessary and requested.....
Great to have you on board
Excellent, thank you for the tips, happy to take any advise on board.

Oh my goodness, that brings back happy memories about modellers shipyard.
The original owner (Brian ) was a very pleasant gentleman, and I used to buy all my kits from him 25 years ago. He sold the business to another fellow called Gary Renshaw and it was never the same.

Last edited:
When Modeller's Shipyard was Nowra based they used to advertise in modelling magazines, etc. there was something special about seeing their ads in a magazine.
When the company moved to Blaxland in the Blue Mountains they opened a website- 'clunky' at first, but became better over time.
Brian; I suppose that explains the disappearance of the original owner from the National Maritime Museum.

When Modeller's Shipyard was Nowra based they used to advertise in modelling magazines, etc. there was something special about seeing their ads in a magazine.
When the company moved to Blaxland in the Blue Mountains they opened a website- 'clunky' at first, but became better over time.
Brian; I suppose that explains the disappearance of the original owner from the National Maritime Museum.
Not just modelling magazines, small ads would appear in other magazines as well. I saw them for years and wanted very much to buy a kit, but with 3 kids, it wasn't the time. As they became more independent (freerange, really) I jumped in.
Brian was indeed a pleasure to deal with.

Not just modelling magazines, small ads would appear in other magazines as well. I saw them for years and wanted very much to buy a kit, but with 3 kids, it wasn't the time. As they became more independent (freerange, really) I jumped in.
Brian was indeed a pleasure to deal with.
I think that must have been how I found them originally, an advert in a magazine as I never actually visited them.

Oh my goodness, that brings back happy memories about modellers shipyard.
The original owner (Brian ) was a very pleasant gentleman, and I used to buy all my kits from him 25 years ago. He sold the business to another fellow called Gary Renshaw and it was never the same.
I still have some original news letters as well, I kept it all together with the kit.

Attachments

• 20200912_092526_HDR[1].jpg
    20200912_092526_HDR[1].jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 4
When I decided to try and finish the Schooner earlier this year the first place to start was google, I was very surprised to see the kit was still available and found quite a few pictures from other modelers of it online, I could tell there was something different as they weren't in Nowra anymore so after further research I pieced together some more of the story to what it is today.

Gday Richie Welcome aboard
Yes visited modellers shipyard a few times when they were down in Nowra. Had a good selection of kits but were mainly selling the royal Caroline then.
Had the kit a schooner for Port Jackson but gave it to a mate as did not have time to build it....he did it justice.
Look forward to seeing your log on the next build

Thank you for accepting me, here is my model shipbuilding story.

I have always had a fascination with old model sailing ships and marvelled at the skill to build them.

I guess it was on dialup internet one day I came across Modeller’s Shipyard in Australia that sold wooden model ship kits, my limited research at the time found I should start with a kit that was a challenging but should be achievable with my limited and average woodworking skills, so on 11/09/1995 I purchased “A Schooner for Port Jackson”, I know it’s that date because I still have the receipt in the box.

So on to reading the black and white photocopied manual and learning so many new terms like fairing, wedging and planking etc. had me wondering if I had bitten off more than I could chew. Undeterred I started construction which progressed reasonably well as I tried to visualise what the instructions were conveying, I did take a few photographs at the time of the early progress which I also have still in the box taken on a 35mm film camera(remember them).

Well it was all going reasonably well until I got to the second layer of planking, about a third of the way through I realised it was a mess and didn’t know how to fix it, disheartened and disappointed it went into a cupboard for many years only coming out occasionally deciding it’s probably too hard to salvage, I think I was resigned to the fact it was never going to be finished.

Fast forward to 2020 and Covid-19 when strange things started to happen, after some spring cleaning around the house the ship again saw the light of day but this time I was determined to make progress, with the help of now fast internet I set about researching wooden model ship building and to my surprise I found the Schooner kit is still available now from Modelers Central, I found quite a few photos of others that have completed the kit which also spurred me on and other resources such as this site “Ships of Scale”

So with renewed enthusiasm I have repaired the faults to a level I am satisfied with and almost finished the build, will post some photos when completed although it would pale in comparison to some of the amazing work from other builders I have seen posted here.

Looks like I found a new hobby as my second build is ready to go and will be Occre’s Revenge, hopefully I am up for the challenge building on the skills I have already learnt.

Cheers

Hallo @Richie ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back