Hi from Nowra, south coast of New South Wales, Australia.

Becoming exceedingly bored with Covid restrictions, I decided to try my hand at modeling. Previous efforts have not gone well. This time I decided to build the schooner Norfolk, built on Norfolk Island in 1798. My granny was a convict there at the time and possibly had some part in it. I am also working on re-rigging a model naval cannon I purchased a few years ago. It is a lovely thing but needs work. The barrel is 8 3/4 inches (22 cm) long and case from solid metal. The rigging is a mess and the blocks are not all there. I will be seeking assistance from knowledgeable members of the group as I progress.
I was actually reading a long list of posts from a member who was building his own cannon from scratch in this Forum. At that point I decided to apply to join and now cannot find the thread. Any help.
Very pleased to be accepted into the membership of this stellar group. Thank you.
Model.jpg

Becoming exceedingly bored with Covid restrictions, I decided to try my hand at modeling. Previous efforts have not gone well. This time I decided to build the schooner Norfolk, built on Norfolk Island in 1798. My granny was a convict there at the time and possibly had some part in it. I am also working on re-rigging a model naval cannon I purchased a few years ago. It is a lovely thing but needs work. The barrel is 8 3/4 inches (22 cm) long and case from solid metal. The rigging is a mess and the blocks are not all there. I will be seeking assistance from knowledgeable members of the group as I progress.
I was actually reading a long list of posts from a member who was building his own cannon from scratch in this Forum. At that point I decided to apply to join and now cannot find the thread. Any help.
Very pleased to be accepted into the membership of this stellar group. Thank you.
View attachment 258010

Hello from Germany.

My French Canon.

Karl

13.019.JPG

05.JPG

View attachment 258010
Welcome aboard Digger. Up in Newcastle here and just as locked down as you, so modelling has been a mind saver.

Bluebeard, Thanks for your post. Do you perhaps have more than 2 cents to contribute? The photo of my breech end shows the breeching rope running through a ring that is lashed to the knob. This is something that I have never seen before. Comments? I thought of looping the breeching rope around the knob and lashing it into a loop, but the heavy rope (about 4mm) seems pretty hard to find. The other larger problem is my blocks. I need six and only have five. All are doubles, when I perceive I need three doubles and three singles. Given the size of them I guess I will need to make them. Problem there is that I have no idea how to go about it. Help,Block.jpgBreech.jpg anyone.

Hallo @Digger
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
Enjoy the hobby and the community here

BTW: Karl alias @Jeronimo building log of his french cannon you can find here:

Hallo @Digger
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
Enjoy the hobby and the community here

BTW: Karl alias @Jeronimo building log of his french cannon you can find here:
Thanks Uwek.
I have read the build log for Jeronimo's cannon. I am awed by the skill employed. The bit that interests me at present is the construction of the blocks, and he makes no mention of that. However, I am being inspired by the support from the Forum and am gradually sorting out the details in my mind.

Back