Hi from Yorkshire England

NMBROOK

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hello to everybody,
I am new to the forum,but have been building model ships for quite a while.At present I am working on DeAgostini's Sovereign of the Seas.I am not sure which section my build log should go in as it is heavily modified(only used the skeleton to date).I am building her to reflect the artwork of Van de Velde using Septon's and Busmann's books.I have a huge amount of photos starting from the planked hull stage to where I am now.I hope to start from the beginning of the photos and slowly build my log to catch up with where I am today.
Kind Regards Nigel

Welcome Nigel.......There is an appropriate page to place your log build..probably from scratch from plans of kitbashing. Glad to see you....hope to see your pics soon.

Rob

NMBROOK said:
Hello to everybody,
I am new to the forum,but have been building model ships for quite a while.At present I am working on DeAgostini's Sovereign of the Seas.I am not sure which section my build log should go in as it is heavily modified(only used the skeleton to date).I am building her to reflect the artwork of Van de Velde using Septon's and Busmann's books.I have a huge amount of photos starting from the planked hull stage to where I am now.I hope to start from the beginning of the photos and slowly build my log to catch up with where I am today.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you very much Rob and Anja for your warm welcome.I shall make a start on my log shortly.
Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel,
welcome ! Oh boy - another Sovereign of the Seas - My favorite, I love that ship ----even though it is totally intimidating for me to even try this one. Maybe one day.

Donnie

Donnie said:
Hi Nigel,
welcome ! Oh boy - another Sovereign of the Seas - My favorite, I love that ship ----even though it is totally intimidating for me to even try this one. Maybe one day.

Donnie
Thank you Donnie,I don't think there is anything specially difficult with the Sovereign,it really is not much different from other three deckers.Although I know from experience Sergal's instructions are not much to write home about if you followed that path.I have seen your fantastic work on your Trinidad build so you really have no need to be intimidated by it.
Kind Regards Nigel

Ahoy, Nigel.

Ooops, sent email instead of post...still learning the ropes, a common mistake in modeling :oops:

New member as well, Sunday,and already quite delighted with the comradery
of the crew members. Donnie's site is simply awesome.

I envy your location with so many real-life displays of the square riggers
like the Cutty and Victory to name just a few. Should make some modeling a
lot easier.

Your DeAgostini Sovereign looks a bit more detailed than the Mantua. I
suspect the price will be a bit higher than Mantua's US $1,200.

Eager to see your pics and narrrative.

Welcome.

Rule Britannia...Jerry

Jerry said:
Ahoy, Nigel.

Ooops, sent email instead of post...still learning the ropes, a common mistake in modeling :oops:

New member as well, Sunday,and already quite delighted with the comradery
of the crew members. Donnie's site is simply awesome.

I envy your location with so many real-life displays of the square riggers
like the Cutty and Victory to name just a few. Should make some modeling a
lot easier.

Your DeAgostini Sovereign looks a bit more detailed than the Mantua. I
suspect the price will be a bit higher than Mantua's US $1,200.

Eager to see your pics and narrrative.

Welcome.

Rule Britannia...Jerry
Thank you Jerry
I think there are pros and cons to both models and the uk list price for Mantua/sergal's offering is only slightly less than DeAg's partwork adds up to.
Yes I have visited Portsmouth , Victory and Mary Rose were very impressive,not that enthused by Hms Warrior because it's a bit to new for me :lol: :lol:
Last time I was in London was when Cutty Sark was closed due to fire.
It is my dream to visit Vasa in Stockholm and I love to go to see Mary Rose since they stopped spraying polyethalene glycol(it was surrounded in mist last time I saw it)
Kind Regards Nigel

Welcome aboard. I will be starting the SOS after finishing my current build and will be interested in watching the building of your model. Enjoy this site. There are a lot of great people here that really love this hobby as much as I do.

GaryM said:
Welcome aboard. I will be starting the SOS after finishing my current build and will be interested in watching the building of your model. Enjoy this site. There are a lot of great people here that really love this hobby as much as I do.
Thank you Gary :) I have to say even after only starting to post yesterday,I feel I have had the warmest welcome.I will also mention that I think you and I have a very similar taste in ships.I have a Soleil Royale as work in progress and experienced all the issues you have.I have been a bit of a 'lurker'and know about your very unfortunate experience with the San Felipe.I have bought the mantua plans and intend to scratchbuild her.I have got the lasercut wood pack for the stern and am considering the casting set.I chose this option as I would probably end up changing much of the kit,so I deemed it a bit of a waste.
Kind Regards Nigel

I love the Sovereign of the Seas...the Clipper ship. :banana-rock:

I admit I truly love every sailing ship, but my true favorites are the work horses and staghounds of the sea..the Clipper ship.

I am basically lazy..so taking the time to work intricate adornments in my older age is less then it was. I do love watching others do it. I'm like Bob Watson (An extremely skilled member here),..I prefer 19th to early 20th century merchant sailing vessels.

Your hull work is awesome. :music-rockout:

Rob

rwiederrich said:
I love the Sovereign of the Seas...the Clipper ship. :banana-rock:

I admit I truly love every sailing ship, but my true favorites are the work horses and staghounds of the sea..the Clipper ship.

I am basically lazy..so taking the time to work intricate adornments in my older age is less then it was. I do love watching others do it. I'm like Bob Watson (An extremely skilled member here),..I prefer 19th to early 20th century merchant sailing vessels.

Your hull work is awesome. :music-rockout:

Rob
Thank you again Rob :)
I dare say you my find this interesting.I work for the company who after the fire on Cutty Sark,was responsible for reinforcing the hull with steel plates prior to the new planking going on and also the jacking up of the ship and her new supporting struts that she sits in today.
Kind Regards Nigel

That is very interesting indeed. Where you there when she caught fire?

I posted finished pics of my CS build in the finished forum......she is one of my favorite British Clippers.
The only clipper left(short of any modern construction)

Rob

rwiederrich said:

I posted finished pics of my CS build in the finished forum......she is one of my favorite British Clippers.

Rob
No it wasn't me :text-lol:
Seriously we were bought in to perform this work as a result of the fire and after the project had received new financial backing.You would be horrified to see how much damage the fire had done.All that was left were heavily weakened iron bulkheads.Our system of steel plates(some up to 35mm thick)were shaped offsite so they could be bolted to the skeleton by the main contractor and then planked over(the planks are bolted)and heads covered with hardwood caps.Incidently the bottom is covered in copper alloy tiles which is authentic.Pure copper wasn't used on Cutty Sark and the alloy has rather a gold tinge to it as opposed to pure copper.
Kind Regards Nigel

I have built the Cutty in both plastic and wood. I lost the Mantua Cutty to a fire when the friend I had was going to clean the copper plates for me when I was on vacation. He felt really bad about it and I said it is easier to rebuild the model than his job of rebuilding his entire house. I have the kit in storage and may get to it and redo it with sails if I live long enough to get to it.

GaryM said:
I have built the Cutty in both plastic and wood. I lost the Mantua Cutty to a fire when the friend I had was going to clean the copper plates for me when I was on vacation. He felt really bad about it and I said it is easier to rebuild the model than his job of rebuilding his entire house. I have the kit in storage and may get to it and redo it with sails if I live long enough to get to it.
Gosh Gary that is terrible.Do you not find it surreal though in view of what happened to the real one?
Kind Regards Nigel

Yeah..the Cutty was plated was Munxs metal an alloy resistant to oxidization. It turned brown...rather then green as copper does.
So you were the crew that helped the crew fix what they had done. I've seen the pixs...wonderful restoration job.

Rob
NMBROOK said:
rwiederrich said:

Rob
No it wasn't me :text-lol:
Seriously we were bought in to perform this work as a result of the fire and after the project had received new financial backing.You would be horrified to see how much damage the fire had done.All that was left were heavily weakened iron bulkheads.Our system of steel plates(some up to 35mm thick)were shaped offsite so they could be bolted to the skeleton by the main contractor and then planked over(the planks are bolted)and heads covered with hardwood caps.Incidently the bottom is covered in copper alloy tiles which is authentic.Pure copper wasn't used on Cutty Sark and the alloy has rather a gold tinge to it as opposed to pure copper.
Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel: It is kind of ironic when you consider what happened to the real one. Never consider it that way until you mentioned it. We are still lucky to have it around and people willing to support its preservation.

Back