Hi, I am Jim, I am new to this site.

Hi, I am Jim Conacher. I am 59 yrs old. I am a US Navy vet. I have built models my whole life and now I am moving into wooden ships. You must admit when you see a nice wooden ship model you always go and look at them.I am now trying to build wooden ships. I have problems with the hull. The problem is the planking. I truly have 8 ships started but none have a finished hull.So I have a bunch started to practice on. I have a boat load of models plastic and wooden. In yalls eyes what would be a good beginner ship to build. I have model ships going from Sergal and Panart Victory down to the Black Falcon. I would love to learn how to plank the hulls correctly. I would like to meet someone that can show me some stuff on building these wooden ships.

Last edited:
hello Jim here are a couple topics on planking a hull

FROM ME TOO, YOU AR, PLANKING IS STILL A HELL OF A PROBLEME NOT ALONE I HAVE A LOT OF YEARS EXPERIENCE PLANKING IS STILL A PROBLEM, I NOW DO MOSTLY POF MODELS SOME SAY THEY ARE HARDER MY OPION NO THERE IS A GOOD BEGINEERS MODEL PUT OUT BY THE NRG PLEASE UNDER NO CERMSTANS MENTION SOS OR ME BUT TO GIVE SOB SOME CREDIT IF YOU MASTER THAT YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLES IT HAS A VERY, VERY LARGE PRACTORIUM WITCH IS GOOD PDF OVER 70 PAGS IN COLOR NO SOS OR DO. HOPE THIS HELPS BTW IT IS NOT VERY EXPESIVE AT ALL. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Welcome aboard Jim, you will find this a great place to learn from others who love to share their knowledge of all kinds of ship building.

Also from one Veteran to another, I want to say thank you for your service.

What part of the good old USA are you from.

You can go to your profile and under account settings is a place to add your location if you wish. It helps others to know who is nearby if you want to meet and learn in person.

Welcome, Jim. It is the natures of wooden ship modelling that many people start a model but run out of ambition to finish it. It takes such a long time and dedicated effort with such a high learning curve that few beginners finish their first model. You measure the build in years and months. Life usually takes you away to other tasks. Researching how to build these ships takes 3 time longer than the actual work. This forum and others are a great resource for ideas and methods of construction, tools to choose, and good company as you work. If you are working on a model, please post a build log with pictures so we can admire your work, answer questions, and learn a few things ourselves as you build. Looking forward to seeing your build!

Hi, I am Jim Conacher. I am 59 yrs old. I am a US Navy vet. I have built models my whole life and now I am moving into wooden ships. You must admit when you see a nice wooden ship model you always go and look at them.I am now trying to build wooden ships. I have problems with the hull. The problem is the planking. I truly have 8 ships started but none have a finished hull.So I have a bunch started to practice on. I have a boat load of models plastic and wooden. In yalls eyes what would be a good beginner ship to build. I have model ships going from Sergal and Panart Victory down to the Black Falcon. I would love to learn how to plank the hulls correctly.
Welcome aboard, shipmate!

Welcome aboard Jim, you will find this a great place to learn from others who love to share their knowledge of all kinds of ship building.

Also from one Veteran to another, I want to say thank you for your service.

What part of the good old USA are you from.

You can go to your profile and under account settings is a place to add your location if you wish. It helps others to know who is nearby if you want to meet and learn in person.
Thank you. I have no idea where to find the profile thing. When it comes to computers I am lost. I live in Lucasville Ohio. Not from just living. I would love it if I could site with someone and learn. Thank you for your service. You take care.

From South Africa, welcome aboard Jim. A nearly said welcome home, but I suppose for many shipbuilders this site is like home. I see that some of the members here already responded to your enquiry. That is how I came to know the members here, quick to help.
Thank you. Funny thing, My grandfather was from South Africa. I looked my name up and there is another James Robert Conacher over there. Well you take care man

Back