HMS Beagle by Occre - My First Build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Got some work done over the long weekend. I got the inner railings done and the hull painted.
View attachment 409895
Painting took several coats on top of a sealer.
View attachment 409896
Also added the top rails
View attachment 409897
View attachment 409898View attachment 409899
Maybe a little too closeup.......
View attachment 409900
View attachment 409901
Starting to look a little like a ship......
It's looking really nice. I'm just finishing my second and even though it was more ambitious project I had learned exponentially from my first. This is such a fabulous hobby. I really like the way your build is coming together.

It's looking really nice. I'm just finishing my second and even though it was more ambitious project I had learned exponentially from my first. This is such a fabulous hobby. I really like the way your build is coming together.
Thanks…you are so right about learning….already I believe the planking on my next project will be many times better, my glueing much cleaner and my work with the exacto knife is exponentially better already….

More progress on deck
IMG_6873.JPG
Made the gunport covers...not sure if that is the right name....very tiny and very tedious.....have to cleanup the glue a lot.
IMG_6874.JPG
after some cleaning and retouching.
IMG_6902.JPG
Making ladders...not a big fan of these being made out of metal...I am probably going to redo and make some out of wood.
IMG_6908.JPG
IMG_6911.JPG
IMG_6912.JPG
IMG_6914.JPG
Ladders installed along with various other parts.
IMG_6930.JPG
IMG_6932.JPG
Not sure how much time I will have during the holidays, but will keep adding photos to this build as best I can.

IMG_6875.JPG

Continue building and adding to the deck
IMG_6954.JPG
IMG_6955.JPG

Hey, let's start building some cannons.
IMG_6952.JPG
IMG_6956.JPG
IMG_6957.JPG

I'm not sure of the consensus, but I felt that the cannons should be rough, almost iron looking.....so, I did not paint gloss black, etc. I used gun blue and then sealed with a satin varnish. Seems more realistic to me....any thoughts?

I've got a few minor things to do including tying down the cannons and then I will start the lifeboats. My thinking is once lifeboats are installed, I give the whole ship a once over on paint repair, touch up, etc. and then start the rigging.

Satin finishes always look better than glossy ones. Some modelers would make their models in an all natural wood finish, then spoil the appearance by making it look like the entire ship was dipped in glass. To me, that looks like a souvenir you purchased on vacation in the Bahamas and not a model ship.

Last edited:
It is well to remember that a plank is only a wieldy portion of a strake, which is one entire strip of wood planking from stem to stern.
Smaller bites. More chewable. Easier to swallow.;)

Pete

Continue building and adding to the deck
View attachment 415331
View attachment 415332

Hey, let's start building some cannons.
View attachment 415333
View attachment 415334
View attachment 415335

I'm not sure of the consensus, but I felt that the cannons should be rough, almost iron looking.....so, I did not paint gloss black, etc. I used gun blue and then sealed with a satin varnish. Seems more realistic to me....any thoughts?

I've got a few minor things to do including tying down the cannons and then I will start the lifeboats. My thinking is once lifeboats are installed, I give the whole ship a once over on paint repair, touch up, etc. and then start the rigging.
Wow! What a spectacular build! I particularly love the details. Fun to look at. Thumbs-Up :D

Let me start this update by just saying, I hate building lifeboats. Building the 4 lifeboats for this ship has tested my patience, shown my inexperience, and taken a better part of the last couple of weeks. We did have the holidays, etc but, I grossly underestimated the time and effort it would take. Planking this tiny boats definitely brought out my inexperience and lack of skill. I am glad to be done with them.....although I might go back and replace them with some lifeboat kits I saw online.....I am not happy with the way they came out....there is more wood filler than wood on the damn things and I ended up painting them to hide mistakes....oh well, I keep telling myself....this is my first model and inteded to be a learning effort....so I march on.

IMG_6992.JPG

You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig....
IMG_7008.JPG
IMG_7009.JPG

I attached 2 of the lifeboats, the other 2 that go on the side will be installed afterwards .....

IMG_7014.JPG
IMG_7016.JPG

Here are the supports that the other 2 lifeboats will be attached to....
IMG_7013.JPG

Finally moved on and got the anchors attached.

IMG_7015.JPG
IMG_7012.JPG

Next up I am starting the Bowsprit......

Man, this build is looking great, especially for being your first hack at the hobby. Don’t sweat the details that you’re not really happy with, because chances are you’re the only one that will ever notice them, and that’s only because YOU know they’re there.
Keep up the good work, you still have the best part ahead of you with the masting and rigging

Oops. Been there, done that... :rolleyes: She's still looking great.
The boats aren't bad either. I thought my "Flying Cloud" was going in the bin after some three months in, thinking that Mamoli had engineered some insurmountable flaws into her design (carefully laser cut misshapen bulkheads, evidently carried over from the Italian originals. I ran into this with my first Mamoli build. The schooner-yacht "America" with bulkheads stamped with worn out warped cutting blades. The laser cut bulkheads from Dusek are just as bad.) Something I didn't pick up on until I had nearly finished trying to build the hull. But I compensated and soldiered on. The pictures to come will tell the tale. (Having gone a little balder and grayer in the offing.)
It isn't surgery. You get do-overs, until you're satisfied.
Carry on with what is largely very nice work!

Pete

Last edited:
Oops. Been there, done that... :rolleyes: She's still looking great.
The boats aren't bad either. I thought my "Flying Cloud" was going in the bin after some three months in, thinking that Mamoli had engineered some insurmountable flaws into her design (carefully laser cut misshapen bulkheads, evidently carried over from the Italian originals. I ran into this with my first Mamoli build. The schooner-yacht "America" with bulkheads stamped with worn out warped cutting blades. The laser cut bulkheads from Dusek are just as bad.) Something I didn't pick up on until I had nearly finished trying to build the hull. But I compensated and soldiered on. The pictures to come will tell the tale. (Having gone a little balder and grayer in the offing.)
It isn't surgery. You get do-overs, until you're satisfied.
Carry on with what is largely very nice work!

Pete
Pete, thanks for the encouragement. It's funny how I go to bed thinking something I had finished looks so terrible but then I get up in morning and realize it may not be perfect but it's not really that bad. My philosophy is that this is my first model, it's important that I finish it and that I will try and "up my game" on the next model. This baby will always be my first, so I am very proud of her. I do feel my skills, confidence, patience, and knowledge are growing exponentially. For some reason, I just feel that if I can complete this model and cross the finish line, I can be so much more patient and deliberate on the next one. I just have to get the first one "in the books".

I think you've got it right and the model looks great thus far. Thumbsup Something to be proud of.
I've lost count of how many I've built and restored and am never satisfied. There' always room for improvement. But I've always got the urge to build more than I can ever get to.;)

OK, it's been about a month since my last update. I started on the masts and boy, I never imagined it would be so time consuming. I actually liked this phase more than the lifeboats, so the past few weeks have been fun. For some strange reason, I really got excited and felt a great bit of accomplishment when I raised and installed the first mast.

I have been watching a couple of build videos as I go and some build the masts, install them then add the rigging. Others build the masts and rigging and then installed....I found this better. Not sure of the thinking process, but seemed easier for me to build the masts/rigging together offline, then install onto the ship. I hope I am using the terms correctly. I think you can see what I am talking about in my pics. Please share any thoughts or suggestions for improvement. If anything, I have learned to be humble in this process. Here are the pics.

IMG_7031.JPG
IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_7048.JPG
IMG_7049.JPG
IMG_7054.JPG
IMG_7055.JPG

Back