HMS Beagle

Currently kit bashing the Occre model of the HMS Beagle using Marquardt's Anatomy of the Ship book. Scale is 1:64. Am using kit as a help for this my second project rather than attempt complete build from scratch.20200217_100332.jpg20200225_123619.jpg20200309_122644.jpg

Last edited:
The first step in this project was to create the frames using Inkscape for scanned 1:64 scale templates from the AOTS book for which I used scroll saw to cut them out.

Working through this build so far I have a number of shipbuilders to thank for their posts and helpful information. I have learned a lot in this my second attempt at model shipbuilding. I think it was Mike 41 who posted his 1:48 scale build from scratch of the Beagle on SOS or another site if I am remembering correctly; a wonderful piece of work that I can only hope to emulate. His build of the frames was a very sophisticated piece by piece construction of the futtocks. Something, I confess, is a little above my skill grade at present. But something I will attempt in my next project. Recent posts by Gilles Korent and others discussion about details of assembling frames have also educated me about what is involved. The choice of woods for Mike 41's build of the Beagle was also as impressive as beautifully executed. I decided to use off the shelf craft plywood for the frames to provide a sturdy extension as the frame move upward. Any advice or critiques of what you see so far is appreciated.

Back