HMS Bounty - rigging & belaying plans

Hi all, I've been given a model of HMS Bounty which is about 26 inches overall length by about 24 inches high to top of mainmast and has a great deal of its rigging either hanging loose or broken.
What I'd really like is to get hold of a rigging and belaying plan for the vessel as it's quite a decent model (maker sadly unknown) and I'd quite like to restore it if at all possible - it might also help to pass these 'lockdown days' doing something worthwhile and challenging.
If anyone knows of a source for these plans I'd be grateful.
Many thanks
Mike Young

Hello Mike,
I bought a book 'Rigging Period Ship Models' by Lennarth Petersson.
It details every item of rigging, where it starts, where it finishes and pictorially what it does.
When I compare it to my plans for my HMS Snake it is remarkably accurate. It should be able to guide you in repairing and restoring the existing rigging on the HMS Bounty.
Hope this helps

Woody

Hi Woody
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have the book you refer to and have found it very clear and helpful in the past. The vessel it’s based on is a frigate which is a contemporary of the Bounty (the model is in the Bristol museum - we live about ten miles away!) What I really wanted was a plan specific to the Bounty; the pin-rails and deck layout on the Bounty model are quite different to the book’s belaying plans unfortunately so I guess I’ll have to keep on with the search!
All the best and happy modelling.
Mike

hI Jimmystratos
Thanks for the message and link to the Amati plans - I had a look but it seems that the language used on them is Italian.
I did, however, find an excellent book in the "Anatomy Of The Ship" series on The Bounty by John McKay which is very detailed and has loads of drawings;
it's hard to find on-line but this link, to a Russian modelling site has it
if you wanted to have a look.
Thanks again, keep safe
Mike

Hi all, I've been given a model of HMS Bounty which is about 26 inches overall length by about 24 inches high to top of mainmast and has a great deal of its rigging either hanging loose or broken.
What I'd really like is to get hold of a rigging and belaying plan for the vessel as it's quite a decent model (maker sadly unknown) and I'd quite like to restore it if at all possible - it might also help to pass these 'lockdown days' doing something worthwhile and challenging.
Many thanks
Mike Young
I built the Sergal HMS Bounty about 10 years ago. I have the full plans stashed away. I'll pull them out and try to figure out a way to photograph them for you. Perhaps that will be helpful.
Mark

Hi Mark
Thanks for the kind offer which I'd appreciate if it's not too much trouble to put you to.
I've managed to find plans and instructions on-line for the Amati kit but there are a few issues with these - a) they're in Italian, b) they're in low definition so don't magnify too well and c) the detail I need (the belaying plan particularly) is not clear.
If you can possibly scan or photograph the belaying plan the would be most helpful and maybe let me find where to attach many of the hanging threads I currently have.
Look forward to hearing from you and thanks again.

Hi Mike. I'll see what I can do. The plans are quite large, like blueprints, so it might take a bit of finagling. I'll be in touch.

Attachments

• A8964F99-7627-4E9A-8B88-6C101111CBBE.jpeg
    A8964F99-7627-4E9A-8B88-6C101111CBBE.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 158
  • D400B503-0EE7-4BFA-A740-AD11303DE3E8.jpeg
    D400B503-0EE7-4BFA-A740-AD11303DE3E8.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 153
  • F3292BB5-B228-46AF-8266-65E039D6CF74.jpeg
    F3292BB5-B228-46AF-8266-65E039D6CF74.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 151
Is it possible to get plans for the Amati HMS Bounty kit in English??
Here's a link to the Amati website - from what I can tell the plans are just in Italian but you might like to contact Amati direct....

Good luck!

Mark, many thanks for the plans. I've downloaded them and will be studying them more closely a little later.
Thanks again for your trouble, I'll try to post some pictures if/when I've made some progress with the restoration.
The standing rigging looks to be OK but the running gear is hanging in tatters in places!
All the best for now,
Mike

Many thanks
Mike Young
Hallo Mike alias @Mike Y
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is the work on your Bounty goning on?

Hallo Mike alias @Mike Y
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is the work on your Bounty goning on?
Hi Uwe
thanks for the birthday wishes, very kind!
As regards the Bounty, I’m still at the research stage but have managed to find a good bit of info about the rigging. I’ve also got a ‘shopping list’ of various missing or broken parts I’ll need to get and I’ll be contacting old friends Cornwall Model Boats who have always come up trumps in the past.
I’ll post details of progress as soon as there is any!
keep safe and all the best
Mike

Back